Not so well dried black walnut

Chuck Melton

I am hosting a 75th birthday party for my grandmother in a few weeks and I am making a keepsake box for her as a gift. My uncle who now owns her old house that she raised a family in, had a large black walnut tree come down that was in the center of the yard. It came down about three years ago and he set a few large pieces aside in the event that someone might do something with them.

They are 18-20" diameter logs, that have been stacked outside for the last 3ish years. What would the feasibility be of milling down some of it to use in a box? I was planning on making the panels of the box out of quilted maple, and using contrasting wood for 4 corner posts and the edges of a top panel.

I know the answer is going to be dependent on the moisture content of the walnut, but do you think it's even worth trying if I need to have something finished in 3 weeks?

You're right, the answer is it depends on the moisture content  ;)

In all seriousness, mill it way over sized and check the moisture content.  Then, if the moisture content is decent, let it sit in your shop for a couple days to see if/how much movement you get out of it.

It certainly makes sense to try and use it as it holds some sentimental value and would make a great gift.

Another option if the moisture content is too high is to substitute it and let her believe that's where the wood came from.  After all, it's the thought that counts right? 

I had a friend bring me a 3 foot log of ambrosia maple that was cut 1 day when he got it to me. I cut up some 6/4 pieces that were 1 foot long for him to make some stuff. I dried it in the toaster on bake at 150 for 6 hours. Warm enough to dry it, cool enough not to burn it or scorch it. I got it to 10 % moisture. Not sure how big of a box you're looking to make, but if you don't have access to a kiln you could go that route.