Sharpening turning tools with a water stone?

AndyF

I'm hoping to get into turning soon. Everyone seems to use a grinder to sharpen their turning tools. Is that just a convenience thing, or is there something about turning tools I don't know about?  :unsure:

I use a water stone for knives and chisels, and it seems to work ok for me. I assume I could use it to sharpen turning tools also? I plan to start out with a set of Harbor Freight's nicer set of 8 tools for $80.

I think you basically need a grinder, particularly for HSS tools.  That said, I end up using stones (water and diamond) more often than I actually use the grinder.  I will hone just a little virtually every time at the lathe, but really only see a need to grind occasionally.

Also note that you need the same grinder (though often a different wheel) to actually get the cutting angle you want on the tools, as shipped they are seldom what you really need in use.

• Like 1

Uggg can't imagen sharpening by hand when you turn you use so much force and wear on the blade that you wear out you edge in 10-30 min only time I use a stone is when I have a odd shaped blade that won't fit on grinder. I used a cheap grinder for years and a home made sharpening jig. Finally I got a slow speed grinder with perfect balance and now I can sharpen with no problems and half the time I don't need the jig it runs so smoth. That grinder was the best thing I bought since the lathe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Turners have a different relationship with sharpening. A turning tool sees more wood in ten seconds than a saw, chisel, plane iron, etc. may see in an entire hour. Turners sharpen constantly, and so a grinder is appealing for the speed, especially once you get comfortable sharpening freehand. Doesn't have to be pretty, just grind and go. You'll be back to resharpen soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2