Display case for a Model 94 Winchester Repeater

pdjms1

Ok, so first off I will say I know this video is a bit long at 18min.  But it was my first attempt at documenting a build and I think I have learned some tricks (it's hard to produce something as fluid as TWW or any of the other skilled guys on youtube).  Also, I realize my lighting is horrendous and I am in the process of installing new lighting now because honestly it was getting hard to read my rulers etc (guess my eyes are finally starting to show their age).  

The rifle was a Christmas gift from my Grandfather in-law and I felt that this Rifle which has never been fired (mixed emotions about this) deserved to be displayed and not just shoved in my safe.  So I set off to make a display case that would house this very generous gift.  He seemed to be interested in the techniques used to make the Humidor I gave my father in-law so I thought it might be fun to document the process of the display case for him to enjoy.  

Photo of Case on the wall:

post-15932-0-93621700-1422891047_thumb.j

Video on Youtube of the build:

(if I broke any rules on how links should be posted please let me know)

Would love to get constructive criticism on the build video and box if you have it.

Thanks,

James (Pdjms1)

I like watching builds from start to finish in fast motion, but you should probably aim for the ten minute mark or less...edit out some of the duller parts like sanding and finishing.  And you need to give us some tunes to listen to..even freebie generic music is better than nothing...dead silence makes it feel boring.  But I enjoyed watching the build.

No rules broken...as long as you embed your video and it's woodworking related, you're good.

Finally, not sure if you're aware of this or not...but there's a CAR in your shop. 

• Like 2

I like watching builds from start to finish in fast motion, but you should probably aim for the ten minute mark or less...edit out some of the duller parts like sanding and finishing.  And you need to give us some tunes to listen to..even freebie generic music is better than nothing...dead silence makes if feel boring.  But I enjoyed watching the build.

No rules broken...as long as you embed your video and it's woodworking related, you're good.

Finally, not sure if you're aware of this or not...but there's a CAR in your shop. 

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the feedback.  I was aiming for 10 to 15 min but ran a little over.  I cut out hours of video and never realized how many times I step away from a piece to go get another tool, pencil, etc.  So by watching the unedited pieces I am rethinking shop layout or at least I will be more cognizant of project preparation to save myself this inefficiency.  As far as the sound there is music and some background audio… Just confirmed again.  You might check to make sure you didn't mute youtube or your comp inadvertently.  Not intended to be a "is it plugged in" insult as given your other posts you seem to be very capable when it comes to computers. 

HAHA Terry,  I know… my wife insists on parking in the garage… my truck enjoys working on it's tan 365 days a year.  

Richard,

Considering it is a 24k gold plated "collectors edition" and has never been fired I am keeping live ammo away from it. Although there are plans to put 7 rounds of .30-30 to the left side of the case under the barrel with the days of the weeks engraved on the cases (taking out the primers and powder).  It's only attached by that brace under the barrel and a very strong magnet so it is easy to pull down (if cleaning is required or to store while on vacation). 

Nice case sad it will never get taken out though I've always thought it'd be cool to shoot one of those old repeaters but alas I am only a fan of history not its pricey artifacts.

Agreed!  I would never purchase a rifle to NOT shoot it!  But it was a very thoughtful gift and I am going to respect the efforts of those who protected its chastity before me, lol.  The only condition where I would take it out of the case is if my Grandfather in-law, the one who gave it to me, asked me to take it to the range with him.  If that were to happen it would be down out of that case so fast it would make your head spin.  My Great Grandfather who was in WW2 taught me how to shoot with a lever action .22 LR and ever since lever actions have been held in special regard in my book.  

Thanks for all the compliments!

I watched the entire video end to end and had no issues with the length or the content.  I also found the lighting to be adequate - looked real to me and I could see everything I needed to.

The box is really nice and the only bits missing are some of the details as to the wood and the finish.

Very nice rifle as well.  I've never owned one like this but did have the pleasure of hunting with a borrowed 30-30 lever action once and really enjoyed it.  I can appreciate not wanting to fire this one and honoring the gift.

All-in-all, very well done.

Thanks for the kind words Byrdie, its Walnut with a ply back with the suede applied to the front side.  Its a simple tung oil finish applied with the first coat cut 50/50 with mineral spirits and then full strength for the 2nd and 3rd coats.  I just finished installing 6 new T8 fixtures in the shop (garage) and also just built a shed to house some spare wood flooring and other misc supplies that have been taking up space in my shop (umhem garage) lol.  So things should be a little brighter and I should have a little more space to move around.