Glue applicators

shaneymack

I'm with Tom (only instead of 41 years it's more like 2..lol)... Don't buy anything to spread glue with, just use my fingers on small stuff and wood scraps on larger stuff. But has anyone done any sort of tests to see if a joint is stronger when the glue is very evenly spread as opposed to just spread by squirting the glue in evenly spaces thin lines straight from the bottle? Seems like if something that gets clamped that as long as you don't just dump it in a puddle that it would "spread" itself. I've done both and haven't really noticed any difference... not trying to hijack the thread just wondering out loud.

I bought a gluebot about a year ago and still haven't put glue in it.  I bought a cheap bag of acid brushes at Rockler because I hate using my fingers to spread glue (usually end up wiping my fingers on my pants and then have stiff pants as well as hands that need to be washed). I found washing the brushes out to be so tedious that I ended up throwing them away and haven't replaced them.  Mostly I use the applicator tip on my glue bottle and a thin piece of scrap wood if it needs to be spread.  If I think I can get away with it I won't spread it but rub the two pieces together to try and get an even application.

I prefer as simple as possible when it comes to applying glue.

• 2 weeks later...

Have the glue bot also, works ok but hard to clean, also have the bottles similar to the ones from harbor freight, they actually work a little better than the glue bot. For edge glue or M&T joints I dump some titebond into a plastic dish and use a foam brush cut to the size I need. I have heard that a hersheys chocolate bottle works and doesn't clog (heard the same thing about Heinz mustard bottles) but haven't tried either one.

When a deck of playing cards gets too old, it goes down to the shop. I use the cards to spread glue, and as shims, etc.

I got the idea from one of Marc's earlier videos, but I can't find it now.

Steve always mentions playing cards as shims, but I figured he was just the kinda guy to have a regular poker game in his shop.

Put me in the waste of money camp.  I use fingers and acid brushes for little things, and a brayer for big things.  All my other gizmos just consume drawer space.  I used the silicone brush for a while but I got tired of cleaning it...tossing an acid brush in the trash is much easier.

If I have to apply a lot of glue, I use a j-roller, I like the fact that it doesn't skid around like the plastic ink rollers do. 

for general work I've been using the various silicone brushes that Rockler sells. I've really come to appreciate this little silicone tray for containing the glue, as I'm no longer rummaging through the shop for a piece of paper, or scrap wood.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-3-piece-silicone-glue-application-kit

These little honey dipper style silicon brushed are great for getting glue down into dowel holes.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-silicone-mini-glue-brush-2-pack

My favorite glue applicators are the little spatulas, they are excellent for getting glue into narrow places. I use the little 1/8" wide one almost exclusively for gluing in picture frame keys.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-glue-paddles-3-piece-set