An odd sort of drill press

collinb

I wouldn't buy that DP it looks like a project and after you cleaned it up it still wouldn't be worth anything. The Delta miter saw was like from the 80's I used one years ago when I worked for a guy building houses it wasn't that good back then save your beans and buy some newer stuff, if your looking for a project find something that is going to be worth something after it's cleaned up. Good luck.

Collin................................go to Harbor Freight and get you a drill press. Table top...price low.  This thing will drive you bonkers......or do we need to attend gadget fetish classes???? 

Come on...I'll go with you....it won't be so scary and truth be known......I probably need to go too.

Harbor Freight?  Yuk.

I have a drill press.  A 3-speed Craftsman bench unit.  $20 at an auction.

Think of me as just curious ... seeing new things all the time and wondering ... and not having the money to waste on 'em.

From some of the comments it looks like others have.  Perhaps it is not I who require an intervention.

Harbor Freight?  Yuk.

I have a drill press.  A 3-speed Craftsman bench unit.  $20 at an auction.

Think of me as just curious ... seeing new things all the time and wondering ... and not having the money to waste on 'em.

From some of the comments it looks like others have.  Perhaps it is not I who require an intervention.

Right! sometimes I see the old tools and just shiver knowing that with our hair already gray, we could spend our last years fighting an inferior made design instead of making wooden projects.  But hey.....some people enjoy working on old tools and refurbishing things....Personally, I put them in a place on the wall to look at. :)

It hit me that Collin was thinking of getting it and using it....no cowboy

I could see it as a movie prop.  Add a servo to move the head around and drop to drill things yet still look old.

A small PIC micro-controller would do the trick. 

But again not enough time, either in my day or in my life. :-)

I picked up a Buffalo Forge drill press on CL not long ago that has worked very well for me. I'm sure it's well over 50 years old but was well cared for and didn't need anything other than a new belt. It is a beast that was obviously made to last. It may very well outlast a new one bought today. I see few advantages a new DP would have over this one, for me at least.