OMG FWW website

rodger.

==>I cant handle FWW's website anymore
==>Adblock Plus

Both of you are spot-on: FWW's site is crap -- full stop... At this point, Taunton should just admit that Ed was a mistake and move on…

The only way I ever visit the site (and I actually pay for the privilege) is with ABP enabled… I use FireFox...

Now before you all go hog-wild, ABP has its problems – you have to be aware what it’s doing ---  you can miss important content and some (most?) websites will behave slightly strangely: unusual fonts, slightly odd page layout, etc… Plus, you are now double-processing every byte of content --- But it’s worth it – trust me.. :)

<edit>

Sorry, Ed Pirnik @ FWW - Fine Wood Working and Shop Talk Live Web Producer Ed Pernik -- i.e. their 'web' guy...

well it looks like this is happening.  

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/121160/fww-in-search-of-a-new-web-producer

I can only surmise that Taunton doesn't pay well.  They seem to have a revolving door of senior editors.... but brands with strong franchise value can underpay a little bit because  it looks good in a resume....   

I do web crap day in day out at work. Woodworking is the fun time of my day. Not sure I'd enjoy something like this. Besides, they'd hate me for being too progressive with wanting to redo their entire online presence into something that didn't look like a pile of red oak stained with golden oak.

I agree. I like Ed as well, I think he is very funny on the podcast. I do think the website is kinda slow. I especially hate all the forced advertising before every video. Cant stand the one with the girl whose head pops out of the toilet.....

I don't get why i need ads if I'm paying for the sites content. Failure to the nth degree Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I can't even remember which one is Ed. He the one that makes baby furniture? Or the one that tells the story about adam corolla every 5 episodes? Maybe same guy! 

He is the one that does the Cuban/Spanish accent all the time.  Its actually pretty funny.  Matt does the baby furniture.  Mike does nice arts and crafts furniture. b

That Cuban accent is damn funny. He does a great Homer Simpson too. For the record, why do we think that a magazine company, who's primary source of revenue is advertisements, should have completely ad-free content on their website, even if you pay $4.99 a month. We pay 4.99 for the paper magazine...that doesn't mean it comes with the ads removed. Flip though the magazine for 5 minutes...you'd see about as many ads as you would spending 5 minutes on the webpage. I don't think the URL helps them sell magazines...if anything they probably sell less due to all the free web content (yes, even know we have to look at ads...it's still free). Magazines publishers work on pretty thin margins, and are selling less paper than ever before. Moreover, they're giving away tons of free content on their website. How else do we expect them to stay in business? (Apply same model to newspapers, radio stations,, etc). By the way, I do realize I turned a full 180 on this topic from an old post of mine bashing FWW's website ads.

That Cuban accent is damn funny. He does a great Homer Simpson too. For the record, why do we think that a magazine company, who's primary source of revenue is advertisements, should have completely ad-free content on their website, even if you pay $4.99 a month. We pay 4.99 for the paper magazine...that doesn't mean it comes with the ads removed. Flip though the magazine for 5 minutes...you'd see about as many ads as you would spending 5 minutes on the webpage. I don't think the URL helps them sell magazines...if anything they probably sell less due to all the free web content (yes, even know we have to look at ads...it's still free). Magazines publishers work on pretty thin margins, and are selling less paper than ever before. Moreover, they're giving away tons of free content on their website. How else do we expect them to stay in business? (Apply same model to newspapers, radio stations,, etc). By the way, I do realize I turned a full 180 on this topic from an old post of mine bashing FWW's website ads.

I don't mind website advertising, but the ads they take are badwidth hogs and sometimes then can be difficult to close or navigate away from.   

I don't mind website advertising, but the ads they take are badwidth hogs and sometimes then can be difficult to close or navigate away from.   

I hate advertising with a legendary passion. I run adblock and noscript and if I need to turn off noscript to view the site and it unleashes ads - I don't go back to the site. The internet is huge, and there will be someone else with the same info on a better site, is what I figure. 

How do you suspect this someone else pays their bills? Why would the info be the same When did we officially decide everything should be available on the Internet...and free? I agree. The Internet is huge...which also means there are plenty of sites full of complete garbage. FWW has paid writers and contributors. ... Taunton creates and owns content to be published in print and on the web, which also happens to be from trustworthy sources (see previous paragraph about garbage content). Why exactly should it be ad free?

• Like 1

If they want to run a site and make a profit - charge me. Don't show me ads. I'll be the first in line to pay when youtube releases a paid subscription plan. If their content and site is good enough, people will pay. 

Ads can be done well.  Look at the woodwhisperer.com.   The ads are all on the side and there are no pop ups or those annoying ads that move when you try to close them.   

Old media companies are the worst offenders.   taunton, espn, local newspapers.    They are  basically prostitutes with one man in town it seems; they will do anything for an extra buck or two.  

But personally I would pay double what I do now for FWW's pay site if they eased up on the ads and optimized its performance.