Dado Blade sets in Europe

Ugglellama

I have a bunch of dados to cut for some up coming projects.  What would be a good way to find a quality dado stack set that would fit a table saw that currently has 315 x 3.0 blades.  I can find 10-12in set in the states but they have at most a 1" arbor hole which won't quite fit a 3.0 cm arbor.  Currently in Southwest Germany, but can have people bring it with them from the states as far as shipping goes.  I really don't want to have to use the router to cut all of the grooves needed again.

I have a Bosch 10j (European jobsite table saw)  here at the workplace and even though the blade (which came with the saw) has a 30mm opening, the arbor is 16mm or 5/8''. There is a bushing for the 30mm blade to sit in the arbor.

A 3/8'' width dado should fit there (and maybe also a 1/2''), but I guess extra bushings will be required.

I'm posting some pictures of the saw:

The 16mm to 30mm bushing:

post-17356-0-55986900-1426599360_thumb.j

Bushing and 30mm blade:

post-17356-0-22365000-1426599367_thumb.j

The arbor:

post-17356-0-93049900-1426599372_thumb.j

A 5/8''  blade in the arbor (this is a skil saw blade), without any bushings, just to demonstrate the fit:

post-17356-0-43982200-1426599379_thumb.j

I’ve no experience with the Bosch 10j so my experiences are generalized. Usually job site saws lack the power to spin dado stacks… Even a ½” is quite a bit of steel… On the Euro saws that I’ve used, you use purpose-made tablesaw grooving cutters… They are usually available in the standard sheet good sizes and in adjustable insert models… These are 'dado cutters', but the D-word is taboo in the EU, so look for 'grooving cutters'...

The thing is, I don’t believe job site arbor diameters and configurations are compatible with grooving cutters --- and I would think using an adapter is a really bad idea…

I don't think the OP is talking about a job site saw. If i'm reading it right he uses 315mm blade  which is closer to the US equivalent of a 12" saw.

30mm arbor dado sets are very easy to come by as are groovers. Groovers are just not all that popular in the US because dado stacks are much cheaper to get a variety of widths. Groovers are more of a thing for commercial shops that make the same sized grooves day in and day out. I much prefer groovers to dado sets especially with plywood. Groovers and dado blade fall under the same regulation in Europe. Its not the "dado" stack that is the issue its the no guard and riving knife when they are used.

Sorry about the jobsite saw, I confabed posts...

==>Its not the "dado" stack that is the issue its the no guard and riving knife when they are used

Agree with that... But I can order Felder adjustable grooving cutter for sheet goods --- it's a stock part... I must be missing something.... Are these not sold in the EU? If not, why not just reverse-import them under the radar?

Sorry about the jobsite saw, I confabed posts...

==>Its not the "dado" stack that is the issue its the no guard and riving knife when they are used

Agree with that... But I can order Felder adjustable grooving cutter for sheet goods --- it's a stock part... I must be missing something.... Are these not sold in the EU? If not, why not just reverse-import them under the radar?

My guess is they are just like here in the US. They, being the government don't care what hobby people do in their garages. We even have rules regarding dado blades, well sort of but more so saws in general. When running dado stacks or groovers you still have to have a guard.

==>Though dado blades are not permitted in production shops nobody is bothered what you do in a home shop

I think I get now, but saying that I get it means that I'm confused by the OP...

If the OP can get adjustable grooving cutters for EU arbors in the EU, why bother trying to import a stack? IT can't be a price thing -- the adjustable cutters are pretty close to a Dado King... Unless the OP's trying to save a $100US, then I could almost see the point -- but not really -- the adjustable cutters leave a better cut than a $200 dado stack...

Although I am aware of some TS with 5/8" arbors with reducing bushes fitted in 30mm bore blades.

The problem isn't the diameter of the bore as I have also just found a 30mm bore dado set on Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/8-inch-Stacked-DADO-HEAD/dp/B00FIPAE3U.

The actual problem is the short stub length of the arbor that won't let anything wider than 1/8" onto the arbor. You can of course have a long stub made at your local machine shop.

$600-$800 -- Wow... I had a leitz 'thrown-in', which is an OK, but not a top whack cutter... :)

Ya scoring type cutters are expensive but they outperform standard blades in every way. You can get thick kerf blades for much less but they are not much good in plywood. Dados and rabbets from scoring cutters are much nicer than anything you can get with carbide tips or even router bits.