New LAJP, need blades.

Brendon_t

Today by total accident I won an ebay auction for a NIB Stanley #62 lajp for less than 50% retail. (Score) I understand it has one blade honed to 25* I would like to get two more blades for it. I will go scalloped 30* on one for smoothing and a 50* for figured quackiness. Problem, I can't find blades. No amazon, no highland, no hock. I know they sell em, anybody got some knowledge you wanna hit me with?

Lie-Nielsen still makes a 62.  I think they kept the plane sizes the same.  The main issue people have had with new blades is they are thicker than the old ones.  This is likely less of a problem with bevel up blades.  I would call them and ask if it would fit a vintage one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the drawing. Unfortunately the 2" blades won't fit the throat. I called hock and he said he's never gotten a single request to make one. So with that said, he also wanted $70/blade in A2 plus tax and shipping. $70 is quite a bit cheaper than amother plane to do the work I'm wanting it to do but then it's getting to where I can just resell this one and get a premium plane with easily sourced $40 blades. .

You could probably grind or sand off the 1/16th if that's the only problem dimension.  The corners might blue but then just grind down to a fresh tip.  Alternatively if you have a way to heat treat and harden steel like a torch or something, you could buy some annealed O1 on Amazon or OnlineMetals and it'd be easier to sand or grind down before treating it, but you'd have to make the slot and bevel yourself. 

Thanks for the drawing. Unfortunately the 2" blades won't fit the throat. I called hock and he said he's never gotten a single request to make one. So with that said, he also wanted $70/blade in A2 plus tax and shipping. $70 is quite a bit cheaper than amother plane to do the work I'm wanting it to do but then it's getting to where I can just resell this one and get a premium plane with easily sourced $40 blades. .

For a one of that really is a good price.  Being no more than twice what a mass produced one costs is pretty remarkable on a manufacturing side.

I agree. No real tooling would be needed but it would be just what you said. A one or two off. If I was absolutely set on this exact plane, I'd have them ordered but from an overall view it doesn't make fiscal sence. Removing the 1/16 from a ln seems like the way to go.

I agree. No real tooling would be needed but it would be just what you said. A one or two off. If I was absolutely set on this exact plane, I'd have them ordered but from an overall view it doesn't make fiscal sence. Removing the 1/16 from a ln seems like the way to go.

Tooling sure, but it would be a different set up and that takes time.