A pair of bedside tables or nightstands

TerryMcK

• 4 weeks later...

I totally forgot about this - maybe I should show you some more progress despite the fact I finished it weeks ago!

Bedside tables (nightstands) - Part 13 - Lining the drawers and making drawer pulls
Lining the drawers.
The customer stated that green baize was to be used to line the bottom of the drawers. So I got some self adhesive felt baize that I have used several times before and cut it to size.

Securing the baize is a breeze by peeling back 1" or so of the release paper and gradually working along the drawer rubbing it down as you go along. Final flattening with a veneer roller ensures that any air bubbles are removed.

IMG_0706.JPGCutting to size

IMG_0710.JPG
Peeling the release paper

IMG_0711.JPG
The finished results are very good.

Drawer stops
I used a couple of counter sunk wood screws in the back of each drawer to act as stops.

IMG_0713.JPG

Screw into the end grain of the dovetail
This is repeated on the other side

IMG_0714.JPG
View from inside rear of the table (top off) approaching closure

IMG_0718.JPG
Drawer fully closed

Drawer pulls
The order from the customer was to have wooden knobs of the same species as the main wood used in the tables. I had all sorts of ideas for fancy drawer pulls made from sapele but "no" came from the client. So who am I to argue.

I broke out the dusty old lathe, sharpened a few gouges, dug out my calipers and turned a couple of knobs. They were finished sanded on the lathe and then when I cut them off at the base were placed into a piece of scrap wood containing a 3/8" hole. This fitted the turned tenon on the knob perfectly. It enabled me to hold the knob to cut the length down to 3/8" long (10mm). A pilot hole was also drilled for a #8 wood screw.

IMG_0731.JPG

Finishing the knobs - they are screwed onto a piece of scrap.
Then the knobs were finished with several coats of Arm-R-Seal and left to cure.

IMG_0734.JPG
Final fitting to the drawers was simply by drilling a pilot hole, blue tape on either side of the hole to prevent break out and screwing the #8 screw from the inside. The knobs were then screwed onto the protruding screw. 

The finish of Arm-R-Seal on the entire pieces really brings out the grain of the sapele.

• 3 weeks later...

Bedside tables (nightstands) - Part 14 - Completion
The final part of the tables build was to fit the various shelves in place and fix the top.
I had designed the tables to have detachable shelves and top as it would have been difficult to fit the top if they were fixed in place.

First of all the top was inverted on the assembly table and the table frame was placed upon it. This was then positioned equally about the centre line and the rear was 1/4" (6mm) proud of the legs. Then a few shallow pilot holes were transferred through the predrilled slots in the securing cleats.

The frame was removed and the pilot holes were drilled to depth and correct diameter to suit the screws I intended to use. The screws were driven in by hand, after waxing the threads, to precut the threads in the top. This also makes sure that the potential for cracking the top is minimized. Then the table frame assembly was simply screwed into place. The holes are slotted to allow for seasonal variation in the width of the top.

IMG_0725.JPG

Blue tape used as a depth gauge

The iPad shelf was then put into place and held in position with some small countersunk screws.

The bottom shelf was then put into position and again secured with some small countersunk head screws.

IMG_0726.JPGTiny countersunk screws hold the shelves in place. They are supported in rabbets. This photo is the underside view.

The tables were then complete and ready to go to the customer. So there you have it - a pair of bedside tables or nightstands in a single species (sapele) finished with Arm-R-Seal semi gloss.

IMG_1532.JPG
In place

IMG_1533.JPG
Sapele is a wonderful species to use.

Hope you enjoyed the series.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...