3 coats of Danish Oil, now what??

dooley

I am very new to finishing so looking for some advice...

I have a walnut table that will be used in the kitchen with 3 messy kids so it will get lots of use.

After reading posts and trying a few finishes, I decided to go with Danish Oil in Dark Walnut.

I've put on 3 coats with at least 24 hours of drying between -  Wet sanding the first coat only.  I am happy with the color - it feels very smooth to the touch.  Should I stop here or add another coat?

So now what?  I am not sure if I should use a wipe on poly or wax finish for maximum protection.

I don't want a glossy finish - I prefer the satin look.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Yeah, I'd give it at least 48 hours if not 72 from your last coat of Danish oil and put on arm-r-seal or some sort of wipe on poly. Just get a satin finish and stir the can well before applying. A kitchen table in a house with kids is going to take a lot of abuse so you'll want to protect it well. A catalyzed lacquer would be good too if you have spray gear.

I have a shelf in my bathroom that only has Watco Danish oil on it. It gets a hot mug of coffee on it every morning for 20+ years. Often spills get cleaned up that evening . Other than scrubbing it with a ScotchBrite pad and re oiling it every 3 or 4 years it gets no attention, no poly, no wax, nothing.

It's not a high sheen finish and a kitchen table subjected to kids may need more frequent attention but the ease of repair/ maintenance is the big plus for me.

Thanks so much for your responses and advice.

My biggest concern is water marks - I don't always get to them right away.

Which finish is the best to protect against these?  My concern with poly is that I will need to resand to refinish again - it sounds like a painful process.  Will the wax help with the watermarks or is it better to leave it and just wipe with a coat of danish oil periodically?

Try the watco dark wax which is what they intend for their oil. It does not feel like a traditional wax and is easy to reapply. It's not as thick or hard as poly but looks great and offers a bit more protection. However not sure if enough for a high use kitchen table.....

Try the watco dark wax which is what they intend for their oil. It does not feel like a traditional wax and is easy to reapply. It's not as thick or hard as poly but looks great and offers a bit more protection. However not sure if enough for a high use kitchen table.....

MSDS says it is thinners and paraffin waxes.

General finishes high-performance waterbase sprays on and sticks just fine, after about a month for the Danish oil to cure.

Edit: yeah, you'll need to finish again, per your concern...but with the exception of undoing all that hard work you put in with the wet sanding..you'll just need to scuff up a wee bit before adding the finish.

At least with water base, you can apply every hour or so and finish in a day...I did mine right in the kitchen (brushed, not sprayed)

A flat surface like a table top brushes on easily too with a nice synthetic brush, if you don't have a sprayer.