Auriou Vs Logier Rasps

Tom Cancelleri

So I'm gonna add a couple of rasps to my hand tool collection. The question is Logier or Auriou. I have an old really aggressive Nicholson that's probably older than me, and it's tremendous. I was thinking of getting a 10" grain 9, and a 7" grain 13. 

Auriou or Logier?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Random internet snark?

So I'm gonna add a couple of rasps to my hand tool collection. The question is Logier or Auriou. I have an old really aggressive Nicholson that's probably older than me, and it's tremendous. I was thinking of getting a 10" grain 9, and a 7" grain 13. 

Auriou or Logier?

I had the same question. Hope people who have experienced both can chime in.

Having used both makes, they are both excellent and you will not go wrong with either. Flip a coin or get the cheaper one - it is not as though they are the final tool that will touch the surface once done.

Take a look at the Shinto saw rasps. They come in fine and coarse (on flip sides). These are wonderful tools. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tom I'm going to tag on here,  do either of these companies make a rasp  wroth course on one side,  fine on the other?  I just checked both websites but it seems they only have convex side and flat side. 

I don't believe so. Convex is a must I think, since my main use will be curves. Think guitar neck Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

See there's where the brilliance lies. I would like to use a rasp for the small bit of curve work I do but I've heard s high stitch is slow and a low stitch needs to be followed by a high because it's so aggressive. I would happily spend more on a convex combo unit, but wouldn't buy two. I'm dumb, I know.

Trust me, once you buy your first one you'll want more anyway.

Unfortunately, rasps are not one size fits all.  Different rasps are needed for different tasks.  A 10" 9 grain is a good middle-of-the-road model to start with.  It cuts fast and leaves the surface fairly smooth, but it will need some sanding afterward...which is true for ALL rasps.  No rasp will leave a surface finish-ready.  If you need to do heavy stock removal, buy The Hog or a 10" 5 grain.  For more delicate shaping, a modeler's rasp is good.  And there's a hundred more in between.

There are also some premium machine made rasps that sit between the hand stitched Auriou and machine made Nicolsons. They are a Swiss company called Vallorbe and I tried a couple out recently. I was very impressed. They are still expensive but if on a slighty lower budget (about 2/3 of the price of Auriou! ) are well recommended.

I still like the idea of hand stitched ones though.

Auriou or Logier?

Have you seen Paul Marcels review of Liogier? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DThQm5eCHI