Risqué Avatars

Dave

Picking up on Matt's off color section -

The avatars in the wood forums seem to very conservative. I visit the one of the Harley Davidson forums from time to time and their avatars...are...well...a little more revealing. There is nothing bad, just off color. In fact there a couple of loops that are mesmerizing. Are woodworkers that conservative, Marc imposing his moral values or are motorcyclist just that perverted?

And don't bother to post the "this topic is useless without pics" smiley face, I'm not going to do it.

Dave

I don't know why woodworkers seem to be more conservative, but I have noticed that too. One of the hot rod forums I frequent has some shockers. For me personally, this is just not the way I want to go.

And another thing! It's bad enough that people use those avatars that are off color, but then they make them so small you can't get a good view! Haha!

Picking up on Matt's off color section -

The avatars in the wood forums seem to very conservative. I visit the one of the Harley Davidson forums from time to time and their avatars...are...well...a little more revealing. There is nothing bad, just off color. In fact there a couple of loops that are mesmerizing. Are woodworkers that conservative, Marc imposing his moral values or are motorcyclist just that perverted?

And don't bother to post the "this topic is useless without pics" smiley face, I'm not going to do it.

Dave

We like to keep it as clean and friendly as possible. There are younger people that do visit the site.

I do find woodworkers to be a largely conservative lot. Anyone who has spent more than a few minutes with me knows that I am anything but conservative. But I also realize its in everyone's best interest if the forum remains family-friendly and religion/politics-free. Now that's just my personal take on it. The interesting thing is I rarely, if ever, have to remind people of the rules. And I have NEVER had to ask someone to change an avatar. So I might be jinxing myself, but this sentiment really has nothing to do with my "rules". I just think you are spot on in saying its the group as a whole.

I also frequent a number of gaming forums, and the avatar and signature content drives me insane. I have to scroll through so much garbage. Dude, no one gives a crap about your level 80 Warrior's specs! They seem to be trying to post a website full of info with every post, lol.

I just find it interesting that certain places it is normal to see risque pictures. Why are there no umbrella girls at Woodworking in America, would Woodcraft get more customers if they had a tablesaw blade wash?

The interesting thing is I rarely, if ever, have to remind people of the rules. And I have NEVER had to ask someone to change an avatar. So I might be jinxing myself, but this sentiment really has nothing to do with my "rules". I just think you are spot on in saying its the group as a whole.

you mean i could be the first not only to break the rules but get banned from a woodworking site...where did i put that latex avatar LOL

lol its hard enough for most married men to convince the wife to let them buy tools,spend hours in the workshop, spend hours reading forums/watching videos as it is if the wife's start walking past the comp and see half clothed lady's all over the screen its gonna become a whole lot harder lol

In all seriousness tho for me the image of a wood worker is a gentlemen who enjoy the quality hands on of creating something, a father in his workshop teaching his sons how to build something that will become a family heirloom, a grandfather building his grand kids some wooden toys,a simple man heck even Jesus was apparently a carpenter I guess when the label of a wood worker is talked about I think of the old bearded plaid shirt wearing "Good ole boy" comes to mind not some chest pounding jock wolf whistling at girls as they walk past their workshop lol

Now with that being said I find Marc's new "fresh" or even as he as said in a wood talk online episode as a joke the "Generation X" woodworkers to be something that is needed to spark an interest in potential new younger generation woodworkers but I feel if it turned into some smut driven testosterone haven of men dribbling over the opposite gender that it would in turn be a negative thing as I for one wouldn't allow my younger sons to frequent a site or forum like that and Im sure Im not the only parent who feels the same way.

lol its hard enough for most married men to convince the wife to let them buy tools,spend hours in the workshop, spend hours reading forums/watching videos as it is if the wife's start walking past the comp and see half clothed lady's all over the screen its gonna become a whole lot harder lol

In all seriousness tho for me the image of a wood worker is a gentlemen who enjoy the quality hands on of creating something, a father in his workshop teaching his sons how to build something that will become a family heirloom, a grandfather building his grand kids some wooden toys,a simple man heck even Jesus was apparently a carpenter I guess when the label of a wood worker is talked about I think of the old bearded plaid shirt wearing "Good ole boy" comes to mind not some chest pounding jock wolf whistling at girls as they walk past their workshop lol

Now with that being said I find Marc's new "fresh" or even as he as said in a wood talk online episode as a joke the "Generation X" woodworkers to be something that is needed to spark an interest in potential new younger generation woodworkers but I feel if it turned into some smut driven testosterone haven of men dribbling over the opposite gender that it would in turn be a negative thing as I for one wouldn't allow my younger sons to frequent a site or forum like that and Im sure Im not the only parent who feels the same way.

Well put!

I also frequent a number of gaming forums, and the avatar and signature content drives me insane. I have to scroll through so much garbage. Dude, no one gives a crap about your level 80 Warrior's specs! They seem to be trying to post a website full of info with every post, lol.

I work in the gaming industry, try being on the other side of those forums, it's quite a shock to new employees. It's one of the reasons I really enjoy this forum, how pleasant and nice everyone is.

You know, thinking about it, we don't see sexy models promoting tools and so forth because of obvious branding, but more importantly, ALOT of wives do indeed shop for tools for their man. At least getting them gift certificates. So maybe that's part of it.

Being a single guy, I'm all for a revolution in woodworking adds...as long as it doesn't get the rest of you in trouble with the Mrs.

OK this is probably the ONLY time I will post something like this, simply because this video cracks me up every time I watch it.

I am not even posting a link to it because I don't want any accidental clicks from folks who don't want to see this stuff.

Go to Youtube and search for "satisfaction power tools". After you watch it 20 or 30 times, come back and tell me if you noticed that there were power tools in the video. WARNING: Not appropriate for work or for people with heart conditions. :)

Being a single guy, I'm all for a revolution in woodworking adds...as long as it doesn't get the rest of you in trouble with the Mrs.

My wife is a little desensitized from all of it due to the car racing, motorcycles and hockey games. I keep telling her I am going to get her a Pepsi outfit (as seen cleaning the ice at the hockey games) - she is not impressed!

Paul-Marcel - sure your in the club, probably not the one you were anticipating but your in!

LLQQK - only if the photo is a full frontal shot of the #7

youtube won't let me view unless i sign up, i'll have to do that later today.

Go to Youtube and search for "satisfaction power tools". After you watch it 20 or 30 times, come back and tell me if you noticed that there were power tools in the video. WARNING: Not appropriate for work or for people with heart conditions. :)

That is awesome....I loved that drill!!

• Like 1

What I find funny is that mechanic tool makers always have the hottest calendars and posters. There's even a Miss Snap-On competition.

Depending on your workplace, maybe the chicks in the following links are amazing not safe for work, unless you're in a transmission shop in which case they are wallpaper!!

Other countries figure chicks n tools are a great combination. ChippyShop in the UK comes to mind. Seriously, I missed the tools the first several times I went there looking for, uhm, specifications. Nice cherry worktops, though.

But we 'mericans are kinda (LOTS!) conservative, which is why ToolKing wanted to chickify some of their site, but knew someone was gonna get a wedgie about it... so they put Erika on her own site (yes, she makes a great free-shipping code on the ToolKing site). Naturally, the very open minded Dutch have a lovely Naomi who will even dance with the "sample handyman" of the video out of sheer ecstasy from seeing the floor so clean after in-house remodeling.

I'm single, too, so I can appreciate the artistic statement these sites are trying to make in the humdrum world of tools. But, honestly, when I had a Dutch girlfriend, she'd try guessing which, uhm, tool I liked better; Dutch girls rock. B)

• Like 1

Dude, Naomi sure has a lot of phlegm in her throat. Get that girl a lozenge!

If I had her address, I'd deliver.

Dutch is a grovelly language, to be sure. I think it has to do with pushing maatjes (raw herring with chopped onions) whole down their throat as a cultural snack. Ooh talent.

haring+happen.jpg

(this photo came from a blog about Dutch life; entry is here)