bought a router this weekend

gardnesd

I've been on a tear recently with tools. I bought the bosch 2.25 hp router. Now I need some help on selecting some bits and other accessories. What do you use most frequently in your shop?

BTW, if you need to know I don't have a table. It's the bosch 1617evspk. http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1617EVSPK

Nice tool!! I have one myself. Make sure you have a grip on it when you start it up as there is alot of torque.

My list of must have bits.

Top bearing flush trim bit.

Bottom bearing flush trim bit.

Different sizes of cove bits.

Roman ogee bits different sizes.

Rabbit bit set.

Sprial upcut bit 1/4, 3/8, 1/2

spiral downcut same sizes

Round over bits, from 1/8" up to 1/2"

So many profiles, so little money...............

Roger

I use routers for basically 2 functions mortise and tenons and pattern routing. I have a little Bosch Colt for the occasional 1/8" round over. But, I'm not a huge fan on ogee profile and the like. So, I have a lot of spiral bits and top and bottom bearing pattern bits.

• Like 1

hi, i too have the 1617evs. i was annoyed because i could never find those special quick lock bushings, so i got the rigid bushing set from HD. it has 2 bases with patterns so you can drill your own holes for a custom fit, a centering pin, and 10 brass bushings (PC Type) that screw in. i dont think i would trust the plastic quick lock bushings. i also just kicked off my bit collection with Whiteside's 7 basic router bit combo. i'm sure i will need more, but it is a good start , and they are on sale at Heartville Tool.

hi, i too have the 1617evs. i was annoyed because i could never find those special quick lock bushings, so i got the rigid bushing set from HD. it has 2 bases with patterns so you can drill your own holes for a custom fit, a centering pin, and 10 brass bushings (PC Type) that screw in. i dont think i would trust the plastic quick lock bushings. i also just kicked off my bit collection with Whiteside's 7 basic router bit combo. i'm sure i will need more, but it is a good start , and they are on sale at Heartville Tool.

Ando,

You might as well have written that in Chinese. I have no idea what you are talking about. This is my first router. I cut my first (test) dado last night w. a router.

With the exception of dado, round over, flush trim, and pattern bits, buy bits as you need them for projects. That way you only buy bits you use.

Both Rockler and Woodcraft house brand bits are good, and will last you if this is you hobby. You can go to brand names (I like the Whiteside too, check out woodworkersworld.net (I've used) and carbideprocessors.com (not used but they have good prices)) if you can't find the one you want on sale fron Rockler or Woodcraft, or just want to invest more now.

Have fun. Remember to unplug your router when you change bits, and you can do a lot of things.

There's a non-obvious source of router bits: go to McMaster-Carr and look for "end mills". These are bits used on milling machines, mostly they are used for working metals. But they can be used wood as well. They are designed for continuous operation in settings where every bit change is lost productivity.

For example, a 1/2" straight bit with 1/2" shank in solid carbide, 2" cutter, with four spiral flutes is $46.

I have two 1617 router sets. :) As for bits, what I did when I was first getting started was I bought one of the 50 router bit sets off of ebay. (1/2" shank) Now, these are not the greatest bits in the world, however they do get the job done. As I wear out a bit, I replace it with a good bit. This way I am only investing in the high-dollar bits I need. When you figure you are paying less than $1.50/bit with these sets it isn't a bad way to get started.

As you progress further with your router, you will find that you will be wanting to use guide bushings. Woodcraft sells a clear base plate that will fit on the 1617 that will allow the Porter Cable style guide bushings.

Sorry Gardnesd,

a router bushing (AKA template guide) is used when you want to follow a pattern and you are using a bit that doesn't have a roller bearing. it is like a sleeve that goes around the bit to keep from cutting your pattern. For many years the Porter Cable Version was the only thing avaliable. it has the bushing and threads on one side and a nut (for lack of better words) on the other. these are typically made of medal, and most prefer brass. now when out 1617 came out it had new bushing technology that allowed yo to qiuckly change from one bushing to the other by just snapping them in and out. ive read a lot of reviews on them and didnt find much positive feedback. if you do wan them they are on Amazon under "Bosch RA1125 7-Piece Router Template Guide Set".

Now what i was telling you about is a bushing set from the box store called "Ridgid Universal Router Bushing Kit Model RBK1032". it has new bases for your router so that you can use the more common Porter Cable style Bushings. it comes with 2 new Bases, a centering pin, the bushings, a drill bit & pattern so you can drill holes in the bases to fit your router, and it is all packaged in a pretty nice case so you dont have little pieces rolling around. im not trying to sell anything, i was just telling you what i got for my 1617.

Bottom line, you got a great router combo (it got "best overall" and "readers choice" from Fine WW)

i hope this helps you out, if not just ignore me.

There's a small set of bits I use constantly.

1/4" down-spiral flush bit (i.e., bearing on the tip). I use 1/4" simply because I have a trim router that can't take a 1/2" though I'd likely prefer the 1/2".

1/4" down-spiral bit (no bearing). This one is more special and likely not what you would use much. My router has a separate bearing so I can use this one to flush but with a kind of "variable bearing". But you asked what we use often so....

3/8" compression spiral. Makes exceptionally clean mortises. Link is for the Eagle America page, but mine is a CMT. A 1/4" version would be more useful (I got mine on a smokin' clearance). With a 1/4", you could make mortises in 3/4" and thicker stock in one or more passes. With a larger bit, your mortise would be too wide.

Bowl bit; while I suppose it would be useful making a bowl, I use it for planing wide areas. Mine isn't an EA-brand bit; I don't use the bearing although that's likely more useful for actually making bowls :)

Another thing you might consider is getting a set of bearings and collars. This is an example. They are inexpensive and let you turn a number of non-bearing bits into bearing bits. Better still, you can easily change the bearing on other bits to, perhaps, take a light first pass then go to final depth.

Spirals are more expensive, but they work so much better that they are worth the cost, IMHO.

• Like 2

Thanks rolleyes.gif

You definitely do not want to seat the bit all the way down. Usually you want to bottom-out then retract by 1/8" or less before tightening the collet. Also, if you use a collet adapter, you'll want to crank on the collet more. For example, I have a 3/8" collet adapter; it fits into the router's 1/2" collet. I can tighten the main collet as much as I'd tighten for a normal 1/2" bit, but the bit in the adapter will still be loose enough that it will adjust in use. When you use an adapter, always verify the bit in the adapter is really snug. I try to avoid the adapters when I can cuz the reason I know the above is from plowing a magical self-deepening dado unsure.gif

I also remembered that I use a chamfer bit pretty often, too. Actually, I use a V-groove bit for chamfers pretty often. If you have the edge guide (and I highly recommend it; the one for that router is pretty nice), you can use a V-groove bit for chamfers w/o a bearing plus... V-grooves. A set of parallel shallow vee-grooves on a leg or stile can look pretty sweet. You'll get double duty from the v-groove.

• Like 2

Matt Vanderlist (Matt's Basement Workshop) has a video of the 10 most useful router bits. I have yet to acquire all of them, but I'm working on it.

As an aside, I was told recently that Whiteside also makes some (if not all) of the router bits for Eagle America. While the quality of the work is still there, I was told that the quality of the materials was not exactly the same. They apparently use just a slightly lower grade of carbide, and not junk stuff. Mind you, this is information I was given, and have not verified.