Wedding lock box questions - lock and printing

miranthis

Best friend is getting married and I want to make an anniversary box.  I saw one years ago that had two locks, one for each spouse.  I looked at full mortise chest locks on rockler and woodcraft and both have less than stellar remarks about quality.  Anyone have a source for a full mortise lock that will reliably work in 3/4 stock?  I suppose I could go surface mount if the 3/4 is too thin.

Also, I don't have a cnc printer or CO2 laser set up to put images on a top.  Is there somewhere on line that will take my image and burn/cut it into the top I supply.  I can work wood, but I am not a carver...:-)

Thanks in advance,

Jeff in KC

Jeff,

As far as doing the art work for you, look for an awards company in your area.  Someone that does plaques, trophies and things of that nature.  Most of these types of companies would have a laser that would be able to do this for you.  I did a quick search on our trade website and found the two below that are located in Kansas City Mo.

http://deanskc.com

http://www.allstaryeswecan.com/main/

• Like 1

Brusso Hardware makes excellent hinges and locks. Not cheap, but worth it 

I looked on their site, as i use their stop hinges, and I could find no locksets.  Some of the resellers that have brusso also sell locks, but it does not look like they make them.  The ones from rockler, lee valley and woodcraft all seem to be the same supplier.

Jeff in KC