Heater for shop....some issues

Jim DaddyO

1 hour ago, BobInAustin said:

I have a 3 car garage with one bay as the shop.  I use this heater.  Works great!  

http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheat-FUH54-240-volt-Garage-2500-5000-watt/dp/B0000AXEZV

I have this same heater. Bought it last year after the comfort zone one I had had a faulty thermostat that was making my shop 90+ degrees on the lowest setting, or not coming on at all. The Fahrenheat has been great. I can go from 50 to 60 in about 15-20 minutes. 

Currently I am using a Torpedo heater (kerosene) in my basement shop. It warms things up quick but I have to keep the single window open for ventilation. I am hoping next year to move outdoors to a dedicated shop I will either build or purchase in the form of a 18x28 shed which will be insulated and heated with a pellet stove. But right now, like last year, kerosene.

Hurray for Heat!

I finally have heat in my shop.  My electrician friend was able to come over yesterday and we put in a second 240v line to run the heater.

Basement hobby shop in Chicago.  Insulated ceiling, but concrete floor and walls with little insulation.  It regularly sits around 56 degrees in the winter.  I did not want to spend the time of money on proper insulation (as I hope to move from this wonderful climate in a few years).

My goal was not to be able to work in a T-shirt, but I thought it might be nice if one could expect the glue and varnish to cure. 

The shop is roughly 23x23ft.  The heater is the ProFusion model EH-4604B which is rated at 7500W drawing 32A and cost about $230.  This was about as big a unit as I could support electrically. 

On initial evaluation I am very pleased.  The unit is stationary and mounted in one corner off the ceiling.  It is not loud and not breezy, but moves the plume of warm air all the way to the opposite corner.  In 15 minutes I get significant heat.  It’s been running for an hour now and the temperature is 67 degrees.  There is a low power setting of 6250W as well.  The unit has a functional thermostat which can be dialed to zero for complete shut off. 

With this kind of draw I don’t even want to think about the electric meter—I’ll blame it on the kids leaving the lights on J.  No open flame or red hot elements, and mounted off the ceiling I think this is as safe as I can make it.

I still have to work at getting the heat more uniformly distributed.  I think an oscillating fan will help and I have to play with what direction to point the unit, but I think this makes the difference between a  seasonal hobby and one that is year round.