How do you get 9 bf of black walnut for $ 25.00?

Bobby Slack

My local hardwood dealer has shorts for $1lb and often has them on sale for 50 cents,

I've gotten Jatoba, walnut, maple, cherry for next to nothing because of this. Wouldn't be able to make a bookeshelf or table from it, but it's great for small pieces.

Buy shorts. I got a bunch of short pieces I need for a project. Unbelievable. Then I thought ... hmmm why not buy a bunch of short pieces of wood that we can get next to nothing and turn it into small profitable projects???? hmmmm

Ideas?

One thing on my "get a round tuit" projects... It's always seemed a shame to me to have a beautifully crafted wooden desk with elegant accessories, and then put a cardboard box of tissues on it. Not everyone uses a pencil holder, but lots of people use tissues. So eventually I'm going to make some wooden bottomless boxes to fit over the standard tissue boxes.

I figure they can be plain or fancy, in almost any style, and can be cheaply made using shorts. For gifts or for sale.

Feel free to steal the idea and make a fortune :)

PS: you can always make "round tuits"; everyone needs them and they make good "gag gifts".

Buy shorts. I got a bunch of short pieces I need for a project. Unbelievable. Then I thought ... hmmm why not buy a bunch of short pieces of wood that we can get next to nothing and turn it into small profitable projects???? hmmmm

Ideas?

Another good way to get lumber is go to a local lawn mower store and see if they will let you harvest some lumber from there pallets..

I have done that several times. The thing is it is a lot of different boards. But you cant beat free.............. :):):)

Even with the economy being what it is, there is a lot of building of new homes in this area. I have "Rescued" a lot of 3/4" wood flooring in various kinds of wood and in various widths. Most can be planed to 1/2", and work well for small projects. A couple of the builders that I contracted tile installation for even save cutoffs for me and call me when they are ready to leave the job site. I am as frugal (cheap) as they come, but free is free. Most of the walnut and maple end up as chess boards. The oak makes great small boxes. It is worth the trip to get the freebies.

I have a guy locally that sells air dried walnut and cherry for 1.50 BF. He owns a tree cutting company and buys logs from folks he cuts down. Has them sawed and stacks then in the attic of a barn. When he has it, it's a steal.

At what price do the folks he cuts down sell their logs?

Sorry, but I just had to do it!