These Boots are Made for Woodworking

PeteJr

i no the look ridiculous but who cares. i wouldnt be caught dead in public with those things on my feet but the first thing i do when i get in my shop is off with the boots and on with the clown shoes(crocs)

Heck yes! Props to the crocs! They make a huge difference versus boots or sneakers on that unyielding cement oppressor.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not suggesting to use Trex for your floor. At the same time, somehow when I bought trex for my Colorado cabin I ended up with a huge amount of leftover, so my wife asked me to get this off the deck (had it on the deck for two years .... lol). After cleaning the garage/shop I did not want to have another stacked pile of lumber so I laid it over the floor and now I see good benefits. I also love wearing my Chaco's http://www.chacos.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/23766M/0/Mens/Z-1-Vibram-Yampa?dimensions=0

I use these in Colorado because they are easy to take off when I come in the cabin and don't drag, mud, dirt, and other debris coming in.

So in that note ... why not wear shop shoes which are easy to take off coming in your home while being comfortable?

I used to use athletic, cross-trainer shoes and my prior pair wore out finally (to my wife's chargrin). I was looking for another pair but it seems like all the brands that I saw were made with a open mesh material around the toe area of the shoe or had open holes. Makes sense to keep the foot cool but not so much for wood dust! I wanted a shoe that was enclosed so that dust and chips can't work their way through. And I thought maybe a hiking type shoe or boot would work since those are made for standing/moving on your feet for longer periods of time. But all the hiking boots had big bulky soles and the hiking shoes were all totally open, worse than athletic shoes. Then I stumbled upon a New Balance walking shoe. I've had these for a couple of months now and so far they have been very comfortable and work well in the shop. http://www.shopnewbalance.com/men/shoes/walking/country/MW646BR

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a pair of John Deere boots and they are wonderful. Model is JD 3604.

The uppers of these sturdy brown Hiking Boots are made from super-tough Tramper waterproof leather. It goes through a special tanning process to make it three times stronger and two and a half times more abrasion-resistant than traditional leathers. It's made just for rugged, agricultural use and is resistant to a slew of barnyard chemicals including caustic alkali, sulfuric acid, calcium hydroxide, potassium phosphate, caustic potash, oils, grease, salt, urine, and manure. Plus, it's waterproof. Thanks to the leather and tough waterproof construction, this pair lets you traverse through muck, mud and soggy soil with dry comfortable feet. Should be just fine for the workshop!

Inside you'll find Agion antimicrobial green lining. This durable, quick-drying lining is extremely breathable and wicks moisture away from your feet to keep them cool and dry. It's treated with environmentally-friendly Agion to prevent foot odor and fight the grown of fungus that lead to athlete's foot and other nasty foot stuff. Sturdy steel shanks offer solid arch support and protect your feet from the impact of driving a shovel into the ground or climbing ladders or rugged terrain. Innovative Air Flow Comfort Insoles will make you feel like you're wearing tennis shoes. The insoles store energy as you step down and release it as you lift up so they absorb shock for improved comfort and less fatigue after miles in the backcountry or long days on the farm.

Slip- and oil-resistant polyurethane outsoles keep you grounded on a variety of surfaces. They're rated electrical hazard-resistant too so you're protected from shock in charged areas. For additional protection, you'll find approved steel toes so potential impacts and other jobsite hazards don't slow down. The sporty, hiker-style design of this pair is versatile enough for a variety of tasks and features solid brass eyelets and padded collars.

post-95-0-22804200-1320595798_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-50858200-1320596203_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Visit a podiatrist and find out if your footwear are causing any posture problems which will surface in your woodworking.

Once I learned that one leg was slightly shorter than the other, a proper insert fixed my problems and I can finally spend an entire day on my feet in my shop.

I tend to agree with most on here. Wood floor is my first choice but a lot of us including myself don't have a choice in this. I keep and old pair of my running shoes to wear in the shop...now this is not really the advice I like to give as the construction manager in me says you should be wearing steal toe boots to protect your feet. However, most of the projects I build are small so I take a caluclated risk. I also highly recommend the anti-fatigue mats as they do make a big difference.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Howdy guys ... Here I am chiming in again on this very important issue. I used to laugh about it and now I changed my mind. I wear my Lowa backpacking boots because they have a Vibram sole and make a huge difference. This is for long days standing up on concrete.

I have two pairs of these boots a new pair which made it to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro and an old pair that I just got back from a repair shop in Seattle. One of the reasons of using Vibram was that I can repair them.

So there you have it.

I hear great things about Merrel shoes but I don't own any. From a sbob backpacker which I am ... probably the next pair I will try will be Zamberlan ... I read nothing but wonders about them ... not cheap but having our body intact is very important.

OK ... good night friends. Rest well for a productive dust/shaving weekend.

The exerts at Redwing recently told me this. If you are looking for a style that will provide the most comfort I would look for a style with a polyurethane sole or PORON insole. If you are looking for a style that has a durable longer lasting sole I would recommend looking at styles that have a Vibram sole. that Vibram soles are excellent.

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure what Bobby said, but it sounded like he knew what he was talking about! :P I use a combination on my concrete floor of a Nike cross trainer and a Wolverine hiking boot. Just which ever hits me. The Wolverines are warmer on my feet so will probably get used more now.

OK I will keep it simple. I use my backpacking boots http://www.lowaboots.com/ since my wife and I backpack a lot. I have two pairs and swap them after resole them. The insoles I use are a brand called Superfeet http://sectionhiker.com/green-superfeet-insoles/

I am aware there are a lot of great backpacking boots.

Using these two items took all my body pains away.

During the summer I felt that boots were a bit much so I wore the traditional Gaucho footware ... espadrilles ... or sometimes walked barefoot ... all my pains came back.

Good footware is crucial.

I'm not sure what Bobby said, but it sounded like he knew what he was talking about! :P I use a combination on my concrete floor of a Nike cross trainer and a Wolverine hiking boot. Just which ever hits me. The Wolverines are warmer on my feet so will probably get used more now.

Bobby,

I've checked out Lowa boots on line and they look nice and stylish but please allow me to play the other side a moment....the Renegade II GTX look like they'd be the thing for not only hiking, but around the shop or around town -but, $173 a pair is a little pricey. I'm 53 and the body is beginning to complain more than it used to. If they're that comfortable to wear for long periods and my back, feet and legs will feel good from working on concrete, I'm all in. I'm just not up on things in the hiking world so Lowa may be what everyone swears by....my question is, is Lowa worth it for what I'm doing and do you think it could be a game changer for working on concrete?

Thanks

Tim

Bobby,

I've checked out Lowa boots on line and they look nice and stylish but please allow me to play the other side a moment....the Renegade II GTX look like they'd be the thing for not only hiking, but around the shop or around town -but, $173 a pair is a little pricey. I'm 53 and the body is beginning to complain more than it used to. If they're that comfortable to wear for long periods and my back, feet and legs will feel good from working on concrete, I'm all in. I'm just not up on things in the hiking world so Lowa may be what everyone swears by....my question is, is Lowa worth it for what I'm doing and do you think it could be a game changer for working on concrete?

Thanks

Tim

Hey Tim,

If you've read the entire 4 pages of this thread you know there are vastly different points of view on this topic. I'm a golf course superintendent by day which means I spend at least 10 hours a day on my feet in season which isn't so bad when I'm moving around on grass. My boots of choice are Asolo and have been for over 12 years, I go through two pairs a season. There is no question that when your feet are happy the rest of the body, aging as it is, follows. However when I get home and into the shop the boots come off and the crocs go on. The boots are great outside or when I'm moving around but in the shop on concrete I end up with a very sore back. As soon as I went to crocs I can spend 10 hours in the shop and am right as rain at the end of the day. The added bonus is that they sell for $19.00 at a store in town and I don't need any pricey orthodics!

A good percentage of surgeons now use ecco boots/shoes -- got several medicos in the family. While not the site-resistance of redwing, they are very comfortable. I've been using redwing since i was a teenager (on my forth pair) and love them outdoors, on a site where nails abound, etc... but ecco is the shop footwear around here.