These Boots are Made for Woodworking

PeteJr

Tim,

OK .. not quite 53 here, I am 49. Two things. A couple of years ago I thought that I had sciatica and had pains all over my body. When driving long distances (about 1000 miles from LA to Colorado) when I stepped out of the car I looked like a cripple.

Physical Training. I started P90X and now P90X2 where the regimen is tough and has a couple of days a week one hour of stretching and foam rolling plus yoga. The rest of the routine is pushups, pullups etc.

Result ... all my pains went away. I treat this as physical therapy.

Next ... Boots. Even thought the price of the boots is hiigh, you can resole them. So I have a pair that I bought in 2002, beat the crap out of them hiking and walking around and last year I sent them for resoling so I will have them for at least 5 to 10 more years.

I was feeling great last spring and since the weather got better, I started using flipflops, espadrilles (which is what the Gauchos wear in Argentina and have a rope sole), then barefoot ...

Result ... pains returned, not as bad as before.

So I adjusted and started wearing my boots consistently and my pains went away.

GTX stands for goretex, you may not need goretex if you don't hike in the mountains as I do, these boots are lighter and I wear them all day everywhere.

Bobby,

I've checked out Lowa boots on line and they look nice and stylish but please allow me to play the other side a moment....the Renegade II GTX look like they'd be the thing for not only hiking, but around the shop or around town -but, $173 a pair is a little pricey. I'm 53 and the body is beginning to complain more than it used to. If they're that comfortable to wear for long periods and my back, feet and legs will feel good from working on concrete, I'm all in. I'm just not up on things in the hiking world so Lowa may be what everyone swears by....my question is, is Lowa worth it for what I'm doing and do you think it could be a game changer for working on concrete?

Thanks

Tim

Tim ... this is a great point ... I only can speak for what I wear and there are others who have success wearing other products.

Asolo is a great brand as well. I heard great things about them and ... we only can wear one pair of boots at the time :P

So my recomendation on Lowa is based on me and myself only. I took these babies to the top of Kilimanjaro and a bunch of smaller mountains so I have another purpose for these boots.

Hey Tim,

If you've read the entire 4 pages of this thread you know there are vastly different points of view on this topic. I'm a golf course superintendent by day which means I spend at least 10 hours a day on my feet in season which isn't so bad when I'm moving around on grass. My boots of choice are Asolo and have been for over 12 years, I go through two pairs a season. There is no question that when your feet are happy the rest of the body, aging as it is, follows. However when I get home and into the shop the boots come off and the crocs go on. The boots are great outside or when I'm moving around but in the shop on concrete I end up with a very sore back. As soon as I went to crocs I can spend 10 hours in the shop and am right as rain at the end of the day. The added bonus is that they sell for $19.00 at a store in town and I don't need any pricey orthodics!

I've been wearing these for 6 years now. They are very comfortable and American Made, I think there worth every penny. I don't wear them if I'm working in mud etc. But if I'm in the shop or doing finish work I'll have them on. I even wear them in semi formal situations! I just clean them with a fresh coat of oil and there good to go. I call them my "New England Yankee" dress shoes :)

http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/dspNavCategory.cfm?rootID=1&catID=103&prodid=150

I'm using the Ecco Track II Low in the shop these days. As previously reported, many docs have switched to these in the past couple of years -- that's how I got on to them. OK, they are a bit on the expensive side, but they are the most comfortable light-duty boot that I've warn. They are too nice for a construction site -- I use my trusty Redwings for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Red Wing 1907 with Crepe soles, takes a wee bit of break in for me. It's like wearing shop mats on your feet. I actually also still have a pair of 100 yr anniversary 1905 Red Wing with same crepe sole I got in 2005, been resoled 3 times so far, leather is failing a little but I work for 12-14 hours a day, 6 days a week in these.

Red Wing 1907 with Crepe soles, takes a wee bit of break in for me. It's like wearing shop mats on your feet. I actually also still have a pair of 100 yr anniversary 1905 Red Wing with same crepe sole I got in 2005, been resoled 3 times so far, leather is failing a little but I work for 12-14 hours a day, 6 days a week in these.

Gotta wrap my head around the price....always heard though Redwing was THE boot!

For the past twenty years I've worn only deck shoes in the shop. However, when these Topsiders wear out, I'm thinking very seriously of buying a pair of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, bar none, just for my shop. I recently bought a pair of Foot Joy golf shoes and it's like walking on clouds. I'm considering taking the spikes off of a pair and using them for work.

I went to my local Redwing dealer a couple of years ago. In addition to my new pair of boots I spent a few extra bucks on the custom fit insoles. You heat them up in the microwave and put them in the shoes and stand on them as they cool off. This lets them copy the soles of your feet and the highest pressure points. It made a major difference in my comfort. I have spend 8- 10 hours a day in the shop, on concrete floors for over 25 years. I have some nice 1/2" thick comfort mats along the sides of both benches and at all the major power tools, but the new boots and insoles were a game changer. I sleep better and have less back pain after a long day in the shop. On days that I wear my Timberland loafers so I can slip them off when going inside high end homes during an installation I can really tell the difference that night.

• Like 1

I went to my local Redwing dealer a couple of years ago. In addition to my new pair of boots I spent a few extra bucks on the custom fit insoles. You heat them up in the microwave and put them in the shoes and stand on them as they cool off. This lets them copy the soles of your feet and the highest pressure points. It made a major difference in my comfort. I have spend 8- 10 hours a day in the shop, on concrete floors for over 25 years. I have some nice 1/2" thick comfort mats along the sides of both benches and at all the major power tools, but the new boots and insoles were a game changer. I sleep better and have less back pain after a long day in the shop. On days that I wear my Timberland loafers so I can slip them off when going inside high end homes during an installation I can really tell the difference that night.

I'm surprised that the shoe industry hasn't embraced the heat treating/fit as a selling tool. For over a decade now the hockey/skating industry has been doing just that with some of their skates. You would go to a pro shop and try on the skates. Once you had the right size etc. they would put them in a oven. After that you put them on warm, forming the skate boot to your foot. No movement of your foot at all. Comfy, Comfy, Comfy. My Thorogood Boots came with gel innersoles. and have softer soles then most. It makes it feel like I'm standing on a rubber mat all day.

Every so often I try wearing something different and by lunchtime I can feel the difference. After spending 25 years wearing Timberland Boots doing carpentry work. There worth every penny. I use to get lower back spasm's almost every day when I would get out of my truck. It would drop me to my knees. My neighbors thought I was praying to be home! Haven't had any in a few years now, except for when I wear something else for the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Living in Minnesota I can't help but throw out a plug for Red Wings, probably in combo with a good comfort mat.

Myself, a little less fussy. Depends more on the time of the year and what I happen to be wearing when I need/have time to head to the shop. Insulated boots in the Winter, most likely sneakers during Summer. Unfortunately not too much in the way of mats as I currently use a lot of mobile tools and frequently need to move them.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I recently purchased a pair of John Deere boots and they are wonderful. Model is JD 3604.

The uppers of these sturdy brown Hiking Boots are made from super-tough Tramper waterproof leather. It goes through a special tanning process to make it three times stronger and two and a half times more abrasion-resistant than traditional leathers. It's made just for rugged, agricultural use and is resistant to a slew of barnyard chemicals including caustic alkali, sulfuric acid, calcium hydroxide, potassium phosphate, caustic potash, oils, grease, salt, urine, and manure. Plus, it's waterproof. Thanks to the leather and tough waterproof construction, this pair lets you traverse through muck, mud and soggy soil with dry comfortable feet. Should be just fine for the workshop!

Inside you'll find Agion antimicrobial green lining. This durable, quick-drying lining is extremely breathable and wicks moisture away from your feet to keep them cool and dry. It's treated with environmentally-friendly Agion to prevent foot odor and fight the grown of fungus that lead to athlete's foot and other nasty foot stuff. Sturdy steel shanks offer solid arch support and protect your feet from the impact of driving a shovel into the ground or climbing ladders or rugged terrain. Innovative Air Flow Comfort Insoles will make you feel like you're wearing tennis shoes. The insoles store energy as you step down and release it as you lift up so they absorb shock for improved comfort and less fatigue after miles in the backcountry or long days on the farm.

Slip- and oil-resistant polyurethane outsoles keep you grounded on a variety of surfaces. They're rated electrical hazard-resistant too so you're protected from shock in charged areas. For additional protection, you'll find approved steel toes so potential impacts and other jobsite hazards don't slow down. The sporty, hiker-style design of this pair is versatile enough for a variety of tasks and features solid brass eyelets and padded collars.

So after nearly 2 years I can report that the John Deere JD 3604 boots are performing extermely well.  Being both comfortable year round and sturdy I highly recommend them. 

The Red Wings with the mold to your feet inserts have worked great for me. 2 1/2 years of almost daily use and no sign of wearing out.

Sure they have overspray and dust on them but still comfortable. Static? Haven't had a problem with that either, although we have had a very wet summer here in Atlanta.

Never seen John Deere boots I will have to keep my eyes open.

• Like 1

The Red Wings with the mold to your feet inserts have worked great for me. 2 1/2 years of almost daily use and no sign of wearing out.

Sure they have overspray and dust on them but still comfortable. Static? Haven't had a problem with that either, although we have had a very wet summer here in Atlanta.

Never seen John Deere boots I will have to keep my eyes open.

Generally speaking you get what you pay for and Red Wing is a top brand.  For me it came down to either Red Wing or John Deere and brand loyalty won me over (I drive a Deere X540 on my property).  If Red Wing made garden tractors I'd probably be in their boots too!

I tend to agree that you get what you pay for.  However, I'll never pay a dime again for Red Wings as I found them to be the most uncomfortable boots I've ever owned.  I'm happy for those that like them, for me, they suck!

I work in a refinery and walk and climb miles every day.  I have become a huge fan of Keens and will buy another pair when the current ones wear out.

I fell in love with rocky work boots when I was doing commercial construction, the Ride insole system is great, like standing on 3" of memory foam! I can't wear redwings, they have to be one of the most uncomfortable boots I've had on my feet. Usually in the summer it's tennis shoes, but I like the added mental comfort of having a steel toed boot on, I like to drop things...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I wear sandals.  One day I will drop a board or blade on my foot and be sorry, but my wife is Korean and like most East Asians they never ever ever wear shoes in a house.  I need something I can slip on and off quickly when I go back and forth from the garage to the house.  

Since I know you all want to see my feet here is a "selfie"

attachicon.giffeet.JPG

how about your legs

• 11 months later...

I recently purchased a pair of John Deere boots and they are wonderful. Model is JD 3604.

The uppers of these sturdy brown Hiking Boots are made from super-tough Tramper waterproof leather. It goes through a special tanning process to make it three times stronger and two and a half times more abrasion-resistant than traditional leathers. It's made just for rugged, agricultural use and is resistant to a slew of barnyard chemicals including caustic alkali, sulfuric acid, calcium hydroxide, potassium phosphate, caustic potash, oils, grease, salt, urine, and manure. Plus, it's waterproof. Thanks to the leather and tough waterproof construction, this pair lets you traverse through muck, mud and soggy soil with dry comfortable feet. Should be just fine for the workshop!

Inside you'll find Agion antimicrobial green lining. This durable, quick-drying lining is extremely breathable and wicks moisture away from your feet to keep them cool and dry. It's treated with environmentally-friendly Agion to prevent foot odor and fight the grown of fungus that lead to athlete's foot and other nasty foot stuff. Sturdy steel shanks offer solid arch support and protect your feet from the impact of driving a shovel into the ground or climbing ladders or rugged terrain. Innovative Air Flow Comfort Insoles will make you feel like you're wearing tennis shoes. The insoles store energy as you step down and release it as you lift up so they absorb shock for improved comfort and less fatigue after miles in the backcountry or long days on the farm.

Slip- and oil-resistant polyurethane outsoles keep you grounded on a variety of surfaces. They're rated electrical hazard-resistant too so you're protected from shock in charged areas. For additional protection, you'll find approved steel toes so potential impacts and other jobsite hazards don't slow down. The sporty, hiker-style design of this pair is versatile enough for a variety of tasks and features solid brass eyelets and padded collars.

I'm pleased to report that these boots are holding up very well.