Kitchen Cabinets Mission Style

Chestnut

@Mike. Would you not do crown with mission/arts & crafts style or you would but the crown would be attached to the face frame that is flush with the door face?

I am going to do inset doors and drawers. i like the look better and it helps not having to figure out the amount of lap and widening the face boards accordingly. I personally hate cabinets that don't show any face frame. It's a personal preference but i also can't stand the look of toyota cars and there are a ton of those on the road.

Do a good search on stickley cabinets and see what you like.  A small crown or cap is typical of the style, but nothing oversized like you see on lots of cabinets today.  

Also, Bob Lang has a book of drawings for Craftsman cabinets and millwork.  Link is below to order it directly from Bob.  It is a little cheaper on Amazon but I guess he makes a couple extra bucks if you buy it directly.  If you are serious about building a kitchen, $25 on a book is money well spent.  I own the book, it is very very good.  

http://readwatchdo.com/2014/05/shop-drawings-for-craftsman-interiors/

note... we are using the terms "Crafstman", "Mission" and "Arts and Crafts" interchangeably.  Technically they imply different things but I think most people are thinking of Stickley-type work when they use those terms.  

@Mike. Yeah the terms are getting thrown around and probably aren't being used properly. I'm not a student of architecture movements but wikipedia tells me that Mr. Stickley was responsible for part of the art's and Crafts movement. It seems that some people consider Art's and crafts to be the figure head with Mission and craftsman falling underneath. The difference between them is in the origination of the style. Mission appears to have originated in Europe some where and then brought over by Mr. Stickley where as Craftsman was slightly more elaborate and is more akin to brothers Greene.

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine-woodworking-knots/general-discussion/craftsman-vs-arts-and-crafts-vs-mission

i have a few cabinets that extend perpendicular into the kitchen, forming a divide with the dining room. the back of these cabinets are raised panels and are awesome to me.  plain would have looked dumb. however the smaller upper cabinets on the walls are plain and i think panels may have looked odd.  the only thing i wish is that on the larger cabinet they were actual doors so i could get in from the back side

Interesting discussion on cabinet design. I sort of agree with Janello that the side panel in the upper cabinet pictured looks odd, but I think that is because it is scabbed onto a plywood box. The raised panel sides of my kitchen cabinets are all integral construction, and don't look like extra doors at all.

Ya'll are just showing your hand with the architecture experiences you have. That looks just like an organ rank box or modesty rail. The look is common in houses where this imitates the wainscot. It may not be universal and you certainly don't have to like it. Just pointing out that it is not rare. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the wood i ordered. Waited a week longer then i wanted. They got an order in for me last week but the yard sent regular oak not qtr oak so i had to wait another week. The stock i got is as good as What i originally looked at. It's not normal white oak quality but this is defiantly better than the white oak he had for me and way cheaper. In fact i paid $0.50 bf more than flat sawn oak.

12661909_10100923474711409_8561127372292

12688061_10100923474786259_2263460484393

12744148_10100923474811209_1208840172346

I never really have gotten a good answer on the best orientation to store wood. I didn't have enough stickers to lay it flat so i tipped it on edge and slid it into my crawl space. Any one have suggestions on the best way to store this much wood?

The wood off to the left isn't pine it's all 12/4 hickory and white oak i scavenged from a construction site there is about 100 bf of that as well.