I am 19 unexperienced, driven, and looking to get into woodworking.

Tstroup14

Collin, I'm gonna put my serious hat on. I don't wear it often, and usually don't give a crap. But here's the deal, because someone has to say it, so it mine as well be me. 

This is a woodworking forum, and while it's great to go off topic because you learn other things that way, this forum is suppose to be about woodworking. You seem to disregard that with every post and make it about photography. It derails the point at hand every time. The young man who asked for help with woodworking doesn't care about large prints!! There is an off topic forum for this type of thing.

Why does it bother me? Because it's to the point now where I am starting to learn more about photography than wood, with every thread you post on, and that's not why I come here.

Please make something out of wood, and contribute.

50 minutes ago, Janello said:

Collin, I'm gonna put my serious hat on. I don't wear it often, and usually don't give a crap. But here's the deal, because someone has to say it, so it mine as well be me. 

This is a woodworking forum, and while it's great to go off topic because you learn other things that way, this forum is suppose to be about woodworking. You seem to disregard that with every post and make it about photography. It derails the point at hand every time. The young man who asked for help with woodworking doesn't care about large prints!! There is an off topic forum for this type of thing.

Why does it bother me? Because it's to the point now where I am starting to learn more about photography than wood, with every thread you post on, and that's not why I come here.

Please make something out of wood, and contribute.

The remark about "that word" seemed to be baiting me.  You recognized that I stayed on-topic which was a good thing.  It also appeared that my comment was considered a valuable contribution to the thread, given the likes and responses.

As soon as it gets warm out so I can get to building things I will.  But don't be surprised if I post pictures of them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Janello said:

Still need an explanation?

when you get a dream job where you can't wait to get to work, and have the ability to use your talents, creativity, and play with lens that cost as much as your house, and get published internationally, I would say yea I still need an explanation. 

8 hours ago, collinb said:

The remark about "that word" seemed to be baiting me.  You recognized that I stayed on-topic which was a good thing.  It also appeared that my comment was considered a valuable contribution to the thread, given the likes and responses.

As soon as it gets warm out so I can get to building things I will.  But don't be surprised if I post pictures of them.

why don't you build a 8x10 view camera, that's made of wood,

To the OP. 

If your just starting out looking to fund your hobby or make a few bucks. I suggest finding a niche that strikes a balance between eye catching, but not to complex and not too expensive to make. Something like wooden boxes that are decorative that maybe hold vape supplies and strike a consignment deal with a local vape shop to sell them for you. Here's the thing that's important once you find the niche. You have to be able to batch them out. Making 50 of each part...getting to know every dimension and move by heart. Then you can build a bunch in one shot, so your labor doesn't exceed the value of the item. It's a tough thing to do and takes dedication, but that's how I would start if I didn't dedicate this as a hobby and wanted to make money at it. Then your work will be out there with your name, and you just might get commisioned other work, word of mouth from there.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Collin, the pic you posted of the hand plane made me jealous, as the only camera I have is in my cheap ass cell phone. I have that pic as my screen saver at work. So the challenge is on, make an old style box camera from wood and take a pic of it!

people build wood pinhole cameras all the time.

49 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Get serious, and go full-on camera obscura. ?

They function very close to this.

The local WoodWerks Supply has some shorts (all I need is 2 x 13" of 3" x 3") of good woods that *will* become a camera this summer. As soon as, as I've said before, things warm up. 

Right now I'm looking around for nickel hardware.  (corners, hinges, screws, etc.)  Because nice hardware is like jewelry on wood.  (There are other thoughts to pursue there, but that is enough.)

25 minutes ago, Janello said:

That lens is NOT worth the price of my house. Not even close...I was getting all excited to see a really cool lens. That one is cheap and you can buy it right here in NYC at B&H. A mere 2 million pfft.

Terry and I both own a Castle.

Leica 1600mm f/5.6 Telephoto Lens: $2,000,000

you must live in a nice house

, can I come and visit for a year?

you need to watch what you get from B&H they sell a lot of gray market stuff,

==>you need to watch what you get from B&H they sell a lot of gray market stuff

In all fairness to B&H, when the item is gray (sans-warranty), it's clearly labeled as such... If you order US market kit, it's never gray...

For the OP -- there must be some pro shops in your area... If you can, visit the shops (make an appointment -- don't just drop-in) and ask about career paths... For example, there's a shop in Northern NJ that runs an apprentice program... I'm sure there are others... Even if you intern on weekends, you'll learn what it's all about before jumping-in... And that's the key -- it's hard to pickup this sort of experience from internet forums -- get out there and see for yourself...

• Like 2