Old compass plane

davestanton

Still ferreting around in my great grand father's tool box and dragged this ordinary wooden compass plane out. This was also owned by his father who died in 1885 which puts it at a minimum of 131 years old.

I found the following in regard to the manufacturer:

Malloch, David

1850 – 1860
57 South Methven St, Perth

1860 – 1870
25 St John St & Kirkside, Perth

1870 – 1878
50 South St, Perth

Malloch, David & Son

1878 – 1913
50 South St, Perth (The Perth Plane Works)

Using the known information I can narrow the date down to between 1878-1885 ageing the plane at possibly 138 years old.

Does anyone else find this stuff interesting?

32 minutes ago, Derek said:

What I find amazing is that your family has keep these tools. It seems nowadays most don't see the value in these things or if they do it would've been sold already.      

Or your family was a bunch of poor farmers that bought the cheapest tools they could from the day that were thrown away.

• Like 1

Hi Brendon. Arthur wasn't back in the Roman days, lol. He was a cabinet maker and carriage builder for NSW railways in Australia. I have documentation in his tool box that puts him there in 1927, approx 90 years ago. I believe he was there for a bit prior to that date. He died in 1949 aged 77, nearly 70 years ago. Have a look at this link if you want to, it is about the locomotion yards he worked at. http://eveleighstories.com.au/?utm_source=facebook_ad&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Eveleigh+stories+

14 hours ago, Derek said:

What I find amazing is that your family has keep these tools. It seems nowadays most don't see the value in these things or if they do it would've been sold already.      

I go through the story of how I became the custodian at the end of this video.