Sealing MDF can it be done?

Skjohn98

4 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Like Pug, I had an MDF bench; 4 layers of 3/4" laminated together.  I treated it with BLO followed by paste wax.  I would have to refresh the wax every few years.  Glue popped right toff and it took a load of use without problems.  If I did get a serious ding I would just fill it with leftover epoxy the next time I was using some and then pare it flush with a chisel prior to full cure.

I did make the mistake of trying to save a bit of cash by using BORG kiln-dried fir for the frame.  Despite being stickered in my shop for a couple of months the material continued to shrink and distort.  I was able to work around it but, after accounting for the waste due to poor product, I could have used some poplar or other inexpensive wood from a reputable lumber yard and spent no more money; lesson learned. 

Here's the surface after about 5 years of use:

I thought of this bench as an intermediate step in my journey and it was just that.  The surface worked so well, I stayed with it for my next bench. I wanted a longer span between supports although a shorter overall length) and so went with 2 layers of 3/4" BB ply laminated to two layers of 3/4" MDF on top.  I used poplar for the base this time and maple for the balance of the vise jaws and trim.  I used the same BLO followed by paste wax method that worked so well for so many years.

It has been in use for under a year but, I am already very pleased with the shorter length (I kept the 30" depth).  It has remained dead-flat which provides a nice reference surface for many tasks. The twin screw is a joy after dealing so long with vises that rack. Once I decide on the end vise (designed for another twin screw but the jury is still out) I will add more dog holes for that function. 

You can see the original bench in the lower right corner of the pic.  I gifted this to a woodworking acquaintance who was in need  . . . good bye old friend.

gee-dub I love your philosophy on the bench, it was an intermediate step on your journey. I think it is easy to get hung up on making a decision for what workbench and features to add. Woodworkers can end up with "analyzation paralyzation." 

With your approach, you got on with building something that was useful, served you well, and allowed yourself to determine what your specific needs were one the years that you used it. 

The cool thing is that your first bench went on to serve someone else. That person may decide what they need is slightly different and build a new bench in the future and hopefully it gets passed on again. 

I also love that your experience proves the MDF top can actually serve quite well as a work surface.