Lets discuss "good" things to get from Harbor Fright

bob493

3 minutes ago, Aj3 said:

We have a horror freight nearby.I went in there to see what the deal is.All I can say is that place stinks what on earth can make a place smell like that.:blink:

Somthing must be wrong with our store I couldn't handle the smell long enough to see much.:wacko:

The smell is their products ;)

• 1 month later...

My favorite new thing from HF is a 2 ton engine hoist.  Now I don't mess with engine overhauls, but I was in bad need of some assistance recently, and there's just no one around usually other than my wife.  Had to unpack a Laguna 1412 band saw, and a SawStop professional saw.  By myself.  With my bad back.  Instructions for both suggested up to 4 beefy friends be involved.

After looking into sticking a jeep winch to my garage ceiling, and worse, I found this hoist on sale for $179.  After 2 hours to assemble it, it worked great.  Put a cargo strap around the neck of the band-saw and lifted it easily into the air.  Stayed there for an hour or so, looking like some odd sort of power tool lynching, til I got the base assembled.  Lowered it onto the base with no problems.

A few days later, it was the same thing all over, except with the much heavier SawStop, which ships lying flat in a styrofoam insert.  Created a lifting cradle from a piece of angle iron and several short pieces of rope, and a set of bolts that matched the threaded holes in the perimeter of the saw tabletop.  Was a bit difficult working inside the protruding legs of the lift, but I was able to get the saw up in the air, slide the rolling base inside the legs, and lower the saw into place.

I'm reworking the whole shop, including all new box cabinets around the perimeter of the garage ceiling, and I forsee this hoist being a huge help jacking them up to the ceiling to install them.  Even designed my new workbench so that, by removing the bottom drawers, the castered legs of the hoist will be able to roll clear up to the walls.  In the meantime, its folded up and hiding under a cheap HF tarp in the side yard.

• Like 2