Lets discuss "good" things to get from Harbor Fright

bob493

No Harbor Freight in Canada but we have Princess Auto which is basically the same thing. 

I bought a 3 jaw gear puller that I have used exactly one time - and hope to never use again. Cost me about $10 so that's not too bad.

I also found a 1/4-20 jig parts kit for $20 cheaper than the EXACT SAME kit at Lee Valley. 

Other than that, not much I'm interested in. I don't go in very often. 

I use their sockets for beater and loaning uses, mostly the impact sockets. They haven't let me down yet. I like their little spring clamps. Very handy to hold small parts in place and light clamp duty for little stuff. Their urethane casters are the same you get elsewhere and are cheaper - they work well, especially the 3 1/2" units. Allen key sets for all but the most stubborn screws.

Almost forgot: cone paint filters. $6/100. Way less than the big box store.

Do they have actual stores or is it all mail order?  I guess I could google that.  I just did.  There is a store 10 miles through crap surburban traffic (so basically 45 minutes) away from my house.  I have never actually seen one of their stores.  

I have an HF about a mile from my house so I stop in from time to time. 

Good stuff:

F clamps.  I love them and I think they are best you can get for the price.  I have maybe 30 of them. 

23 gauge pin nailer.  I think I paid $14 for mine.  Doesn't get a ton of use, but so far so good.

HVLP spray gun.  I bought the "cheaper" version, but it works very well.

Oscillating Multi-tool. Typically I avoid anything with a motor at HF, but this thing has proved very handy. 

Oscillating Spindle Sander -  I had the older version which they dont carry any more.  Worked great and 99.999% dust collection.

On April 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM, bleedinblue said:

That and opening paint cans, yup.  They're much easier to find than the paint can opener thingies, which always disappear.  

Is it just me or is another use for the 'paint can thingie' as a beer bottle opener?

image.png

Similar to Coop, I needed a somewhat special tool a while back (a universal joint bearing press, in this case. Like a C-clamp on steroids.) HF was the ONLY "tool store" in town that had them. Used it once, worked great, hope to never use it again. Anyone need a really beefy C-clamp?

If ever have to do that again a 22mm socket and a 22oz dead blow works as well... Prolly takes longer but it works

Hey Kev, the nitrile gloves hold up great and it's one of the few places I have found the XL sized ones in stock. The 23 gauge pin gun is worth the $ as well.

Your nearest Store is in Bellingham. I am sure your keen eye will be able to avoid all the crap but there are a few gems to be had .

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Hey Kev, the nitrile gloves hold up great and it's one of the few places I have found the XL sized ones in stock. The 23 gauge pin gun is worth the $ as well.

Your nearest Store is in Bellingham. I am sure your keen eye will be able to avoid all the crap but there are a few gems to be had .

I've been in the store a few times Steve..  Frankly, I have a hard time supporting a store that has 99% crap with a couple diamonds in the rough.  It might cost me a little more at a store genuinely trying to carry quality stuff but, I'd rather see that store stay in business so, is worth a little extra.

• Like 2

I don't buy much woodworking stuff there, but I do a lot more than woodworking.  I have bought air compressor hoses and fittings, C-clamps, Jack stands, floor jack, hydraulic press, a 3/4" air impact driver and socket set, tarps, moving blankets, moving dolly, parts washer, engine stand, cherry picker, chains and chain binders, welding clamps, welding gloves, welding blankets, the list goes on

They have lots of decent stuff at reasonable prices but you have to pay attention to what you are buying. If you are looking for a precision tool then you will always come away dissatisfied (which is why I have very few items from Harbor Freight in my wood shop).

Haha some hilarious things in that "Ad' xD

Jokes on you, I think some of those are awesome :P 48 piece screw driver kit? Sign me up. I probably have 300 floating around and some how can never find one....

On 4/29/2016 at 0:48 AM, TIODS said:

I've been in the store a few times Steve..  Frankly, I have a hard time supporting a store that has 99% crap with a couple diamonds in the rough.  It might cost me a little more at a store genuinely trying to carry quality stuff but, I'd rather see that store stay in business so, is worth a little extra.

Id say people are responsible for their purchases. My only complaints are when people try to "justify" these purchases against other higher quality devices. I actually own a cordless drill from there that I literally throw around and dont have to worry about; I think I got it free too? Obviously my dewalt gets more love.... 

As long as you know youre buying crap (mostly), I don't have a problem with it personally speaking.

4 minutes ago, bob493 said:

Id say people are responsible for their purchases. My only complaints are when people try to "justify" these purchases against other higher quality devices. I actually own a cordless drill from there that I literally throw around and dont have to worry about; I think I got it free too? Obviously my dewalt gets more love.... 

As long as you know youre buying crap (mostly), I don't have a problem with it personally speaking.

Fair point!  I just refuse to support a store that know's they sell crap and continue to screw people that don't know any better for a living.

Just now, TIODS said:

Fair point!  I just refuse to support a store that know's they sell crap and continue to screw people that don't know any better for a living.

Can't learn without making mistakes or learning from others. If they dont do their homework, then ignorance shall be punished. 

The appeal of that "easy purchase" is definitely there. After a long trial and error process, I have settled on mirka sandpapers. I used harbor freight stuff ONCE because it was so damn cheap, and the paper lasts like one stroke haha. Hard to justify spending 4-5 times the cost on something you don't see yourself... until you see it :)

I wanted a caliper for marking out stuff, and found a good one there that also has a pencil clamp on one leg, so now I have a compass, also.  And far less expensive than what I see at estate sales and auctions, where the name "Starrett" kicks the price over the moon.

Found they have nice sets of letter/number punches in 1/8" and 1/4" sizes, for marking your tools and work.

Biscuits for biscuit-joining?  Who can beat their price?

• 4 weeks later...