Lets discuss "good" things to get from Harbor Fright

bob493

Lets avoid power tools and clamps. Too touchy, so lets go over other things. I'd love to hear of some good buys from HF, and maybe theres stuff you havent thought about on here.

Things i personally love

- super glue. Cyanoacrylate is Cyanoacrylate . The super glue is fine, and compared to literally anywhere else is an absolute BARGAIN

- scratch awl. dirt cheap, very useful.

- bottles of all types. Glue bottles, alcohol bottles, generally anything. Cheap and easily replaceable. Works great

- they sell meguiars compounds at HF... use that 20% coupon to get an actually great product for a good price

- they have thick tarps that hold up well. Their cheap tarps are about as useful as tissue paper though

- nitrile gloves are pretty decent for the money too

- heat shrink does what its supposed to do, and is infinitely cheaper than an electronics store

I also replaced the tires on my tractor with some of the HF ones, been a while, still work great *Shrug*

My DC, 3 point quick hitch for my tractor, pipe threader, and oil extractor.  Really like the oil extractor, because I really hate crawling under my vehicles for oil changes.  Thanks for the tip on the CA glue, never would have thought to buy it there.

Just about anything they carry can be as "great" as a similar item sold anywhere else. But with ALL items they sell, QC is very spotty. Your tube of glue might be great, the guy behind you at the checkout may get one that is 3 years past expiration. The router you buy may have a cracked baseplate and a missing collet, the next off the shelf may be perfectly acceptable. Not that any if their tools are above home center grade, but they are the only place in town I can find such a range if products in one place.

• Like 1

The awl is inexpensive and useful but, requires sharpening often.  Who cares since there is plenty of shaft to keep grinding down.  Good for things you don't want to use your better tools on.

Hand screws are fine if you choose carefully.

F-clamps are OK but, I have spun the handles off a few of them and I am no muscle-man.

I bought their 23ga pinner for $20 and have used it for years.  Sure a Grex or a Cadex are more refined (and I have a Grex) but, the thing keeps working.

Gloves when on sale.  Handling lumber eats gloves up but, at $6 for 6 pair I don't feel bad about it.

They carry name brand link belt for the best price I've found.

I tend to avoid anything that requires precision or edge retention.

Their chisels are good for getting dried glue off the concrete floor.

Their foam floor tiles are decent, probably the same as anywhere else.

Their oscillating multi tool is good.  It's used for home projects though, and accuracy isn't as important.

Their low profile floor jacks are pretty nice, it's my primary jack for my Mustang.

My brother in law is getting good results with their dovetail jig, though I don't see how.

• Like 1

Heat gun is fine. Multitool. I have a set of electronic calipers from there that are better than the ones I ordered from amazon.com. Their foam brushes are fine, as far as foam brushes go (not a fan of them to start with.) They have an adjustable height stool that I like quite a bit. 

Here are the things that have worked for me.

12" sliding miter saw. I only use this for rough length and construction. I have used it for 13 years.

Flexible dust collection hose.

F clamps. I drill a hole through the grip and put a nail through it so the grip doesn't slip.

I use their outlet remote deal to turn on and off my dust collection.

Tap and die set

Floor mats

My list of not so good is a lot longer, but we are keeping this one rated G

I bought 2 movers blankets for $3 and  use them as drop cloths for painting. Cheaper than real drop cloths. Cloth that i walk on is all the same to me.

Their Pittsburgh car jack is a seriously good jack I've used one many times. My only complaint is the handle could have been a bit stronger for using as a breaker bar extender ... though i don't think your supposed to use it for that. It's not really a good deal though it's priced only slightly lower than a similar jack  ... <_<

On 4/23/2016 at 1:52 PM, Llama said:

They sell trash cans that double for storage of their other items. 

This is the best one so far xD

21 hours ago, bradpotts said:

My list of not so good is a lot longer, but we are keeping this one rated G

My list is pretty large as well.  The list of things NOT to buy at HF will be quite large xD. I went to HF to get some superglue the other day, and figured maybe people don't know you can even get some of this stuff there.
Seriously,  i pay 3$ for 50-60$ worth of superglue at walmart. Thats not an exaggeration either lol.

I've been a pretty big proponent of their clamps. But I threw 3 or 4 away the other day (f clamps) because they broke. Not a huge deal since they were $3 on sale, but it's a good thing I have 20 or so. Then again, the Woodcraft 12" F clamps I got last black friday sale are just as bad or worse. I'm thinking this year of doing a complete replace of my F clamps with Bessey or something. 

The pipe clamps of course, are still gold for me. 

I had a fence post that rotted off at the ground and I needed a come -a- long to suck the concrete out of the ground. I went to Lowes, HD and Sears (no Tractor Supply around) and they didn't carry them. Someone at Sears suggested HF. They had three different sizes. Now if I had to make my living using it, it probably wouldn't last but it did the job.