Understanding Rasps

Ronn W

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

They are self cleaning Coop. Im sure I used my three rasps for atleast 10 hours during the Maloof rocker build alone and I never had to clean them.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I thought you hooked your CT vac to it

Liogier recommends a brass bristle brush (pure brass, not brass coated steel) to clean, and then apply a protective oil.  They of course sell both.

http://www.hand-stitched-rasp-riffler.com/accessories/brosse.html $11.40 at today's exchange rate

http://www.hand-stitched-rasp-riffler.com/accessories/huile-de-protection.html $7.20

I use a natural bristle brush (a dense hair brush) and Liogier's oil.  The oil doesn't say what kind it is, and doesn't smell like camellia (at least to me), or like a machine oil.  Thus far I haven't had any issues with rust (have had the rasps for 8 months, here in the bone-dry, super-parched, it-never-ever-rains Seattle area :) )

EDIT: I should add - I use the natural bristle brush both to clean the rasp and to help spread the oil all over the rasp

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...