walnut or cherry?

rodger.

You can always use both!  They compliment each other well.  If budget is a concern, accent with Walnut, and base cherry.  I generally disagree with the concept that you'd regret either decision.  If budget was never a concern, I'd build just about everything out of walnut, but it is, and I am starting like the character of some of my cherry pieces more than some of my walnut.  

I do almost always mix the two for things in my house.  It helps to bring a hodge podge of wood projects together.  Most of my work incorporates walnut, but as a secondary or accent piece.  Somehow this works to bring many different pieces together.  I have a dining table (gaming table) that is cherry with walnut, a humidor that is cherry with walnut, bed/chest of drawers/book cases that are hickory with walnut.  Another bed that is Maple with Walnut....you get the picture.  When you move from room to room, the walnut ties it all together, but lets me play around with other species.  It helps to avoid getting pidgin holed into one species.  

Just some food for thought.  In the end, it's your project, and you're the customer.  The customer is always right...unless your wife says differently.  

• Like 1