Wood Recomendation

Chestnut

Bell Forrest is having a sale and i want to try two new things at once. I'm looking for an interesting wood to work with something that I've never used before and something that isn't available to me locally.

Available Locally

Hickory/pecan, Oak, Maple, Ash, Beech, Birch, Cedar, Doug Fir, Alder, Poplar, Cherry, Padauk, Sapele, Hon Mahogany, Lepordwood, Ganalco Alves, Wenge, Zebrawood, Teak, Purple Heart, Basswood, Ash, Walnut, Jatoba, Gabon Ebony, Macassar Ebony, Cocobolo, Bloodwood, Bubinga, bocote.

I'm sure i missed a couple from my local yard that i don't pay much attention to, i was just going off memory.

So shoot me a recommendation. I'm probably going to use the wood as either a nightstand box or accents.

58 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Kingwood !

That was my second thought, First thought was a 10 BF project pack of curly red leaf maple. Now idk.

2 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Koa is beautiful, curly Koa can be incredible !

They are out unfortunately. :(

Just now, shaneymack said:

You are able to find kingwood?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

On bell forrest, yeah. I've never seen it locally doubt i ever will. Though t local guy did get some rosewood and a few ebony species so i shouldn't say never.

Would it be a waste to use the kingwood on a picture frame?

19 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

On bell forrest, yeah. I've never seen it locally doubt i ever will. Though t local guy did get some rosewood and a few ebony species so i shouldn't say never.

Would it be a waste to use the kingwood on a picture frame?

Never a waste if that's what you want.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2016 at 11:26 AM, shaneymack said:

You are able to find kingwood?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My local guy bought a load of exotics that will be here within the month with some kingwood. I'm starting to find that the only thing i can't get locally is some good flame birch and good curly maple. Seems completely backwards.

Anyways when the kingwood gets in I'll be buying some, I'm kind of excited.

My local guy bought a load of exotics that will be here within the month with some kingwood. I'm starting to find that the only thing i can't get locally is some good flame birch and good curly maple. Seems completely backwards.

Anyways when the kingwood gets in I'll be buying some, I'm kind of excited.

Nice! ! Post pictures for sure !

Same thing here, they have over 100 species and they don't have curly maple. So weird

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Does Bell Forrest usually send out a confirmation email on orders? I put an order in right around 21 hours ago for some curly red maple and haven't seen an email. They did charge my card though.

$6.80 a bf for curly maple delivered to my door is hard to beat. There was some curly maple at a dealer 200 miles over but they charged nearly $9 a bf and I'd have to foot the gas.

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

Wow that looks nice. For under 7 a bdft that sounds pretty good for my area, maybe I should check it out

There was a 15% off spring sale that knocked it from $8.00 a BF to $6.80. Unfortunately the sale ended yesterday.

24 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

You're not being very helpful right now :angry:

Sorry :( if it makes you feel better i felt bad bringing this up the day after the sale ended. Though i did start the thread on the 19th which would have been right around super busy baby time for you. Just poor timing on my part all around. Maybe next time?

Good day today. Got my baby back and got the curly maple from bell Forrest. So to exercise one and show off the other here is the maple i got.

13407024_10101012737847369_5858820794074

13422366_10101012737887289_7974620546423

Really impressed with the maple for the price. The figure on 3 of the boards is really nice 1 board is kinda meh with some nice figure on the edges. All things said I'll be ordering from Bell Forrest again two thumbs up.

And then the last pic for colin. Fixing it cost me a domino but it was worth it.

13346339_10101012752183639_5932242104139

*Note on the Jatoba underneath the camera. I'm very happy with the way the wood has aged. It's gotten about 4 shades darker since i finished the boxes and the red they have turned into is beautiful in my opinion. Once i stop having large expenses like camera repairs I'm going to buy a bunch of it along with some king wood and make something special for myself.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Was the curly maple from the lot labeled "heavy figure" or "light to medium figure"? I noticed they were selling both at different prices, and I was hesitant to guess about which one I wanted without seeing pictures of boards from each lot.

Looks nice, congrats!

I bought a 10 BF project pack and it's labeled light to heavy. I'd say that it lived up to the light to heavy label there is some that is pretty well figured and some that is light.

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Nice box Chestnut, is it a home for your camera?

Na it's the speaker boxes i made that i posted in a journal or project showcase a while ago. My camera has a very lackluster home, I generally store it in a backpack wadded up in a sweatshirt.

• Like 1

Na it's the speaker boxes i made that i posted in a journal or project showcase a while ago. My camera has a very lackluster home, I generally store it in a backpack wadded up in a sweatshirt.

Oh right, I knew I saw that somewhere.