Wood Recomendation

Chestnut

7 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Nice box Chestnut, is it a home for your camera?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

That's a good idea thought i could make a display case for my cameras and build in a dehumidifier of sorts. I could make it out of something and accent it with king wood ;)

That's a good idea thought i could make a display case for my cameras and build in a dehumidifier of sorts. I could make it out of something and accent it with king wood

Screw accenting with kingwood, build it all out of kingwood !! This is for your precious cameras we are talking about here!

Just now, shaneymack said:

Screw accenting with kingwood, build it all out of kingwood !! This is for your precious cameras we are talking about here! emoji12.png

Somehow i knew you were going to say that and already prepared the counter argument of i couldn't afford that case. It'd need to house 6 bodies and 11 lenses ... My nikon addiction is similar to your fesdiction, it'd be interesting to see who has more invested too. You go first :D.

Somehow i knew you were going to say that and already prepared the counter argument of i couldn't afford that case. It'd need to house 6 bodies and 11 lenses ... My nikon addiction is similar to your fesdiction, it'd be interesting to see who has more invested too. You go first .

I wouldn't want to write the number down, it will give me a sore stomach !

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

I wouldn't want to write the number down, it will give me a sore stomach !

I only know my number for insurance purposes other wise i shed my tears over the money long ago. All my equipment is separately insured just because it's so easily picked up and stolen.

4 hours ago, Iceballs Burnham said:

Glad to hear everything worked out and that you're happy with their service. I've been hitting their site more than a few times lately. I think once I get a couple more projects out of the way and clear some room, I'll be ordering from them.

After reading your journal about how difficult it is to get wood defiantly try them out. Even if you do a larger order to get cost down and have to eat a freight charge it's still cheaper than having a vehicle break down and dealing with that fiasco. Not saying your pickup is a PoS but breakdowns are always in the back of my mind.

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

If any of you guys just need a project pack for a smaller project (like 25 bf or less), let me know and I can look into what shipping would be.  I can't guarantee it would be less than Bell Forest, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be more....and you'd get the added bonus of an OCD woodworker picking out your boards for you instead of some 19 year old yard worker who just grabs the first three he sees.

The owner of my yard has been kicking around the idea of setting up shipping for years, but he's never done it.  If I get a few "orders" perhaps we could get another player in the game.

The 10 BF of curly maple i bought was $80 not on sale shipped. I bought when they had their 15% spring sale that put it at $68 to my door. It was packaged in lengths around 48-52" and boards 2-3.5 bf.

My thought is that bell forrest has an agreement with UPS or whomever and gets discounted rates. Looking at the cost for me to ship from Michigan to my door the package would have cost me $40 to ship. That puts me paying $2.80 a bf for curly maple. I'm assuming that's hard to beat?

If you wanted the detailed info. If you can make it profitable for you and decent price for me to get a good product I'll buy from you.

Well I can absolutely guarantee that we couldn't match Bell Forest's shipping prices...but we could probably beat them on lumber prices on some species, so it may end up a wash in terms of dollars...but you'd have me picking the boards for you which would be a big advantage over BF.

This summer is total chaos for both of us, but I'll talk to Craig the next time I see him and I'll try to get him to look into shipping costs.  If he knew there were some sales to be made he'd probably be more motivated.  He's kind of at the brink of expansion and I don't think he can decide if he wants to go huge or stay where he is...small, comfortable and profitable "enough."  He's talked about opening another location as well but that just means more work and more headaches.

7 hours ago, Eric. said:

If any of you guys just need a project pack for a smaller project (like 25 bf or less), let me know and I can look into what shipping would be.  I can't guarantee it would be less than Bell Forest, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be more....and you'd get the added bonus of an OCD woodworker picking out your boards for you instead of some 19 year old yard worker who just grabs the first three he sees.

The owner of my yard has been kicking around the idea of setting up shipping for years, but he's never done it.  If I get a few "orders" perhaps we could get another player in the game.

Tried to message you about this, but it looks like your inbox might be full, won't let me send it. Regardless, I'm curious about prices, are they posted online?

On 6/9/2016 at 2:28 PM, Eric. said:

Nah, he doesn't post his prices online because he changes them like the wind blows.  But I can tell you the prices on anything you're interested in.  Thanks for the heads up on the inbox.

PM me about prices for domestics? Mostly interested in 6/4 and 8/4 walnut, cherry, and H/S maple...

6 minutes ago, Mike. said:

If I were shipping lumber, I'd jack up the price of the wood a little but and understate the shipping cost.  People are dumb.  They'd pay $50 for a pack of lumber and $20 for shipping that pack.  Charge them $35 for the same amount of umber and $35 for shipping and they will think they are getting screwed.  Amazon has trained everyone to think that UPS works for free.

Of course people are dumb. :)

It only makes sense if you take the effective cost  (wood + shipping) and compare with local prices, unless you're just buying to get better lumber or a species you can't find locally.  

I'm asking because my local prices are pretty expensive, and I haven't found the quality to be overwhelming. Especially the s3s 4/4 stuff...It's all already down to 3/4 and no longer flat by the time I get it, so...yeah.

34 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Of course people are dumb. :)

It only makes sense if you take the effective cost  (wood + shipping) and compare with local prices, unless you're just buying to get better lumber or a species you can't find locally.  

I almost always look at things in how much is going on my credit card, tax, I even account for gas and time for some things. Thanks to amazon i haven't had to wait in a checkout line at walmart in a couple years. that is worth $100 a year to me.

I'll give you the prices you asked for instead of typing out the whole list...if you need others don't hesitate to ask.  Also keep in mind that these are the prices TODAY, and if someone sees this list three or six months or a year from now, don't expect it to necessarily be the same.  Also, feel free to call him anytime during the week, and he'll work with you to get the best price he can get you.  He may very well quote you a different price from the ones listed below...could be lower, could be higher, depending on how much he thinks shipping will be, how much you want to buy, what kind of mood he's in.

Craig Norsen - U-Pick Hardwoods

(636) 485-5217

These are all FAS prices unless otherwise noted.  All lumber is kiln dried and surfaced lumber is sanded to 150 grit...

Walnut

12/4 S2S - 16.00

10/4 S2S - 13.00

8/4 S2S - 11.90

No 6/4 at this time

5/4 Rough (#1 commons) - 6.90

4/4 S3S - 7.90

Cherry (Pennsylvania)

12/4 S2S - 9.00

8/4 S2S - 7.50

6/4 S2S - 6.00

4/4 S3S - 4.90

Cherry (Missouri)

4/4 Skip Planed to 15/16 - 2.90

This stuff ^^^ is a little skinnier on average and has a little more sap than the Penn cherry, but the color is just as rich and technically it's still FAS.  It's my favorite stuff to stock up on at the moment.  You wouldn't want a load of it picked at random, but if I were to pick out a batch of boards for you, I guarantee you'd be happy, especially at that price.

Hard Maple

12/4 S2S - 7.00

10/4 S2S - 6.50

8/4 S2S - 6.00

4/4 S3S - 4.40

Soft Maple (red)

4/4 S3S - 3.90

Curly Maple (red)

4/4 S2S - 7.25

On 6/11/2016 at 7:17 AM, Eric. said:

I'll give you the prices you asked for instead of typing out the whole list...if you need others don't hesitate to ask.  Also keep in mind that these are the prices TODAY, and if someone sees this list three or six months or a year from now, don't expect it to necessarily be the same.  Also, feel free to call him anytime during the week, and he'll work with you to get the best price he can get you.  He may very well quote you a different price from the ones listed below...could be lower, could be higher, depending on how much he thinks shipping will be, how much you want to buy, what kind of mood he's in.

Craig Norsen - U-Pick Hardwoods

(636) 485-5217

These are all FAS prices unless otherwise noted.  All lumber is kiln dried and surfaced lumber is sanded to 150 grit...

Walnut

12/4 S2S - 16.00

10/4 S2S - 13.00

8/4 S2S - 11.90

No 6/4 at this time

5/4 Rough (#1 commons) - 6.90

4/4 S3S - 7.90

Cherry (Pennsylvania)

12/4 S2S - 9.00

8/4 S2S - 7.50

6/4 S2S - 6.00

4/4 S3S - 4.90

Cherry (Missouri)

4/4 Skip Planed to 15/16 - 2.90

This stuff ^^^ is a little skinnier on average and has a little more sap than the Penn cherry, but the color is just as rich and technically it's still FAS.  It's my favorite stuff to stock up on at the moment.  You wouldn't want a load of it picked at random, but if I were to pick out a batch of boards for you, I guarantee you'd be happy, especially at that price.

Hard Maple

12/4 S2S - 7.00

10/4 S2S - 6.50

8/4 S2S - 6.00

4/4 S3S - 4.40

Soft Maple (red)

4/4 S3S - 3.90

Curly Maple (red)

4/4 S2S - 7.25

Cool, thanks. so does he have a way of calculating shipping costs, or is he gonna have to call UPS for every order right now? If there are any other "specials" you know of, let me know about those too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 0:13 PM, Chestnut said:

Does Bell Forrest usually send out a confirmation email on orders? I put an order in right around 21 hours ago for some curly red maple and haven't seen an email. They did charge my card though.

$6.80 a bf for curly maple delivered to my door is hard to beat. There was some curly maple at a dealer 200 miles over but they charged nearly $9 a bf and I'd have to foot the gas.

We usually send out confirmation emails, but during that time-frame some of our gmail customers weren't receiving them. We've since updated all of our information so that problem shouldn't exist anymore. 

39 minutes ago, Bell Forest Products said:

We usually send out confirmation emails, but during that time-frame some of our gmail customers weren't receiving them. We've since updated all of our information so that problem shouldn't exist anymore. 

Welcome to the forum!