Using Wood Dye

KSUBANKER

I am a relatively new woodworker and would like some wood finishing advice on a project.  The project is being made from Ash and includes a hand carved company logo.  I would like to use an Artisan dye on the carved logo, without it bleeding into or affecting the wood around the carving.  The Artisan dye I've chosen contains Methyl Alcohol, Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether and Shellac.  If I spray or wipe a coat of poly into the carved area prior to using the dye, with this keep the dye from spreading into the rest of the work piece?  Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.  Thank you.    

I assume that the dye is going onto the recessed part of the logo.  interesting idea to create a barrier or kind of a bathtub to prevent sideways migration of the dye.  I don't have an answer - I am as curious as you are about the best way to do this.

If you spray the dye and use light coats until you build the color desired bleeding should be minimized. It's wet coats that bleed. Sealing the surrounding surfaces before wouldn't hurt. Use multiple thin almost dry coats to seal the dye in  to keep from wetting the surface and possibly bleeding the dye into the finish.

Once sealed you can use almost any finish over the entire piece.

+1 to light coats. If you can include a bit of colored border or rim around the carving, carefully seal just the border with shellac and a fine paintbrush. Dye the logo, then come back with a bit of paint in the border to cover any bleeding.

Alternatively, an inlaid border will work as well.

Alcohol dyes can be sanded back pretty easily. I would take a medicine dropper or syringe and fill in the voids carefully. It really shouldn't bleed out too much. I do inlays with black dye on maple, never been an issue for me. Any bleed out is easily sanded back.