Going to school!

Tracy.Dennis

So for XMAS I got the best gift ever - a week at the William Ng School of Woodworking where we'll be making a Green & Green style coffee table! This will be my first class ever so I was wondering what I should bring? I was thinking my favorite safety glasses and dust mask, but anything else?

Congrats you can ask Darrell and William what should you bring. They are pretty good about it. Probably if you take tools would you drive from SanFran instead of flying?

Darrell also teaches in the Pacific Northwest somewhere ... since you are in the middle of both (LA & Seattle)

Yep, I was planning on driving anyway - especially so I can bring home my new coffee table! Good suggestion though - I'll ask William directly. I just wondered if anyone in our group had ever gone to one of these types of classes and wished they had brought something from their own tools.

Having taken a Greene & Greene 8 legged table class from William, I would take the following:

1. card scraper. William is big on using scrappers

2. set of your own chisels. Sharpen before the class

3. One of those 6" adjustable squares

4. If you are going to do a lot of G&G I would recommend a set of square punches from Lee Valley -- this is totally optional. In the class I took from him, we used a hollow chisel mortiser to cut the square holes but square punches are better IMHO.

5. Your own measuring tools (Tape measure, etc.)

6. Paper and pencil

7. Camera. Great for recording setups, etc.

8. Ear and eye protection

If I had the time, I would take the class but I think I've learned enough to build on my own if I wanted.

Have fun.

Having taken a Greene & Greene 8 legged table class from William, I would take the following:

1. card scraper. William is big on using scrappers

2. set of your own chisels. Sharpen before the class

3. One of those 6" adjustable squares

4. If you are going to do a lot of G&G I would recommend a set of square punches from Lee Valley -- this is totally optional. In the class I took from him, we used a hollow chisel mortiser to cut the square holes but square punches are better IMHO.

5. Your own measuring tools (Tape measure, etc.)

6. Paper and pencil

7. Camera. Great for recording setups, etc.

8. Ear and eye protection

If I had the time, I would take the class but I think I've learned enough to build on my own if I wanted.

Have fun.

Thanks very much - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I did end up buying those square hole punches so I'll be sure to bring them. Thanks again for the tips!

One more thing ... since you will be in the LA basin area it would be great if before class you take the time to go to the Gamble House. Plus there is a $ 1.50 tour of the neighborhood surrounding the GH.

May be you did this already. I think the tour would get you more on the Greene & Greene mood.

So for XMAS I got the best gift ever - a week at the William Ng School of Woodworking where we'll be making a Green & Green style coffee table! This will be my first class ever so I was wondering what I should bring? I was thinking my favorite safety glasses and dust mask, but anything else?