Selling your woodworking projects...

2 hours ago, mds2 said:

When all is said and done I'm probably making about $2 an hour on this box.  I'm perfectly fine with that. Woodworking time is fun time for me.  If I get to do my hobby and spend someone else money in the process it's all good gravy.  I have no illusions about making a fortune at this.

This is 100% what I am talking about. I do not care about making $30K extra a year with woodworking. I just have so many ideas for furniture designs that I'd like to try... but I simply cannot afford the materials. I'd also need to rent a storage unit to store it all, if I could afford the materials. 

It is tough when first starting out.When I started putting my shop together I had no idea what i was getting into.I remember one of the first things that shocked me was how expensive good clamps cost.Other wake ups were what do I do with all these scraps and saw dust.Dull blades.Left over finishes.The list goes on.

I don't give away free work very often any more.But I also try to stick to what I know I can do fast.

Always work for free for gods house.Even if it's not your favorite.Some will want back whatever wood you take out.

Give up your unwanted builds to funds raisers.They are always looking for donations.Relay for life is one I give to every year.

Good Karma and free advertising is a good thing.

• Like 1

I take on commissions from time to time, and I set the price at: "I'm okay if I get it, and I'm okay if I don't".  This means the cost of the piece accurately reflects the time required.

I am more often turning away potential clients now.  I have, more than once, drawn up a detailed sketchup and then the client simply walk away or cut off contact.

I never go into "design mode" without them knowing what the numbers are going to look like.  I just don't care to waste my time designing something I'm not going to build.  They either are ok spending that kind of money or they aren't.

If you just want to make stuff but don't have an outlet for the stuff you make, maybe start up a youtube channel.  The video becomes the project instead of the piece itself and when you are done you can take the thing apart and use parts of it in future projects.  You won't make any real money at it with just passive ad revenue but you'll eventually get enough to cover the consumables and you can make whatever you want.  If you are good and lucky then maybe it will grow into something more than that.  It will also create that portfolio so if you do want to start selling stuff you have an online presence to build off.

On 7/3/2016 at 6:14 AM, Dolmetscher007 said:

Do you do this, or is this just a suggestion?

I do it.  I don't do the take the stuff I made apart part of it, because I mostly do smaller projects.  But yes, I started doing youtube as an outlet to do more creative stuff because I make boring stuff to sell and it sucks the fun out of woodworking.