Live Edge Slab Bark Removal

Hello all... I could use some suggestions about how to go about removing the rest of the bark off the front of my Live Edge Redwood Slab.

I've used a drawknife, 1/4 sheet sander, hand sander, a couple [handmade] scrapers and some MINOR angle grinder work...... But I'm having trouble getting the rest off....

Here's what I have left to remove:

5794cbc76b8ba48e70febf287bcbc543.jpg6b9b0469e42435462b122fd433fe2090.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ok. Since I'm going to finish it with General Finishes stain and Arm-R-Seal. If I stop now and leave it how it is, will I be ok? Or should I completely remove it all? I'm going for a matte finish "rustic look" and I kinda like it with the "left over bark look", but being my first Live Edge Slab protect I wasn't sure.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

STAIN ? Blasphemy ! Slab redwood looks best with a simple finish, why add stain and conceal the grain they charge $$ for ? Dyes add color without concealing the grain if you absolutely have to add color. Practice on scrap or the bottom before you jump into finishing the whole slab ! 

Dye will still be clearer than any pigment stain I know of. Another option, if you just want a deeper tone, is to put on a coat of shellac that still has some of its natural color. It is available in a wide range of tones, ranging from almost black, through the reddish-browns, to very clear. Pigmented stains are pretty bad about leaving a "muddy" look on most conifer species.

• Like 1