Its my walnut

mat60

3 hours ago, MisterDrow said:

I agree completely with you. But what if you had a scenario where you bid WAY low and missed it until after the fact. All of a sudden you get a call from the client and he says, "Hey, this price just doesn't seem right and I think I owe you more money." I'm sure you would never expect said client to make such a call or such an offer because it was YOUR mistake. You would still be in the right for honoring the price on your mistake (integrity, again) but how much better would you feel about doing business with said client in the future?

There have always been people who screw others and there will always be people who get screwed... but persons of integrity who live their life just trying to do the right thing and helping others to make sure they get their earned share as well are a rare bunch, but memorable.

Mr. D, I totally agree with your decesion and think it was admirable. So much so, that I did something similiar about an hour ago. I stopped and bought a box of cigars. The cashier was new and rang it up as one for $5.19. I corrected her and told her it was a box of 18. I figured she might loose her job because of it. Also, in the back of my mind, I was afraid I would have to support her thru welfare taxes if she did loose it;). Kind of just kidding there!

• Like 2

I don't know...where do you draw the line?

At my yard I have a receipt tacked to the wall.  It's only a hundred bucks but it's there.  A credit card payment failed to go through, and I didn't notice until the customer was long gone.  It wasn't his fault, it was the system...just didn't accept the payment because the wifi was wacky or something.  So this guy shouldn't pay for the hundred dollars worth of lumber that he took out of the yard because I made a mistake?  Or the computer made a mistake?  Or whatever?  It's a freebie now?  Don't think so.  I'm gonna ask for the payment the next time I see him.

You got away with it.  If you can sleep at night, good for you.  I'd do what my gut said was the right thing to do.  I'd offer to make it right.  I bet he says don't worry about it...but at least your karma is intact.

• Like 2

I like that you called back and made the offer.  I like even more that the guy honored his sale.

For me, I prefer the honest approach but there are mitigating circumstances.  In a case like this, where it's a place that I'm going to go back to, perhaps multiple times, and I know that they know they made a mistake, I've got to be able to look them in the eye when I come back.  If I didn't offer to square it with them I'd at least suggest meeting them halfway.  

Truth is that, generally, business make up for their losses with higher future costs.  In the long run you end up paying for it somehow as well as passing the cost of your short term gain along to everyone else that does business there.

• Like 1