Free lathe

BeautysBeast

I know it is worth what I paid for it, which was nothing, however I still have a question. 

Someone gave me a Central Electric (Harbor Freight) 14x40 lathe. I used a 2x8 and cut grooves in it, to slide into the cheap sheet metal bottom. I ripped some pallet middle pieces into 1 inch squares, and filled the square tubing with them to make them more rigid. I have noticed that the head stock housing bends outwards when you put a piece between the headstock and tailstock. Has anyone ever braced this, or reinforced it? It is my intention to make a stand and bolt the entire thing to the stand with multiple bolts down the middle of the base. I will then weigh down the stand to prevent vibration. I have looked extensively online, but have yet to find anyone who has braced the headstock housing. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

I had a HF lathe that had the Reeves drive stick plus the headstock and tailstock didn't line up.  Got it for $125 as the guy was updating to a big Jet lathe.  I scrapped the HF lathe and bought a Rikon benchtop lathe.  HF products are like anything else- some good, some bad. If you have problems with the headstock bowing out, you are tightening the piece too much.  This can lead to stress on the bearing, leading to more problems.  Plus, the headstock shouldn't move when you secure a piece on the lathe.