2 tools $1000 Budget

bushwacked

I would consider these:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/5790462676.html

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-ridgid-zrr4331-15-amp-13-in--bench-planer-with-3-blade-cutterhead/rgdrzrr4331,default,pd.html

and the HF dust collector with the Wynn filter. 

That should keep you right around $1000 plus extra for hoses. On the jointer I would offer $425-$450 or even $400. 

Yep I saw that. However I've never really heard rigid thrown around when talking quality products. Has this changed in recent years?

I asume you are refering to the Super Dust Deputy

I agree about adding one - if it fits the budget.  I was trying to help him stay in budget but get a DC that works and is reasonably safe.  5micron filtration is not very good and IMO requires an upgrade for safety.   The SDD is more an issue of convenience, but WELL worth the money!  I have one with a Wynn filter on my Delta DC, and I've had the same results as you.....clean filter, empty bag.

So roughly talking...

HF DC 160

Filter upgrade $129

SDD $169

$458.  That's about half his budget so much more realistic than I originally thought.  If he can score a planer for the other $500 he'd be good to go

Hmm that's not a bad setup there. I will definitely look into this. Is the 160 price on sale and a 25% coupon?

I found the coupon I was referencing (in the Sept issue of Wood Magazine).  It's a 2HP 5micron Central Machinery DC for $179.  Not sure why I thought it was a Grizzly.....

Perusing CL is a good option too - find a solid unit/motor and then upgrade the filter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bushwacked said:

Yep I saw that. However I've never really heard rigid thrown around when talking quality products. Has this changed in recent years?

Hmm that's not a bad setup there. I will definitely look into this. Is the 160 price on sale and a 25% coupon?

It's really no better/worse than the 6" Grizzly Jointers. HD just does not sell the Ridgid jointers in their stores anymore. I was also trying to stay within your $1000 budget. 

I don't think the size of can matters, except for the space constraints and the difficulty emptying it.  I intend on a 55 gallon barrel...

Ok good. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose a ton of suction with a 55 or big sized barrel like that. I would rather get something a little bigger so I am not having to empty several times on a heavy mill day.

It's really no better/worse than the 6" Grizzly Jointers. HD just does not sell the Ridgid jointers in their stores anymore. I was also trying to stay within your $1000 budget. 

Is that so? Not saying your wrong but I have never heard that comparison before... maybe I have missed something in the last few years??