2 tools $1000 Budget

bushwacked

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

BW, is venting the DC outside an option for you? Eliminating the filter bags gains you a lot of air flow, and a cyclone or thein baffle will remove most of the visible stuff before it hits the fan.

at this time, no venting outside would not be an option.

7 hours ago, Llama said:

You won't be disappointed. Make sure you get the steel impeller one.. part number has 69 in it. Can't forget it! 

oh well that is good to know haha ... so they have 2 different models of this DC then?

11 hours ago, bushwacked said:

Well dang!

Why the 735? Just curious...

Did you modify the D.C.?

Does he not like the planet cause no D.C. And that planer struggles with no D.C.?

I've heard changing the bags on the HF one is a pain to change??

Mine drops the chips into a 30 gal trash can, and the fines go through the wall to the outside world. Never used either of the bags or that round thing that holds them, if you want them their yours just cover shipping.  That's from an HF dust collector.

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

Mine drops the chips into a 30 gal trash can, and the fines go through the wall to the outside world. Never used either of the bags or that round thing that holds them, if you want them their yours just cover shipping.  That's from an HF dust collector.

thanks for the offer! I dont think I need them though.

I am curious ... Did you notice a drop in suction running through the 30gal trash can? I want to try that type of setup as well with whatever DC I get 

Neither the harbor freight or the grizzly dc you linked are sufficient unmodified to run dedicated lines to multiple machines. You can,  and there will be suction at the end,  but it will be greatly reduced compared to hooking the dc up directly.  I have the harbor freight dust collector and have been using it for about 6 or 7 years.  Switching between machinesis not a big deal.  After you do it for a bit you will either decide it's worth it to modify the harbor freight or worth it to buy more dc or it's fine as is and you just switch machines as you go. The later is and was my decision until recently.  Now looking at a clearvue, but that will still be a few projects down the road.

13 hours ago, TIODS said:

Dust collection, good results, ability to change the head if I choose, rave reviews, and good experience with the ones I've used.

You can replace the head on the 734 with a Byrd if you want to. DC is a bit of a bear with any lunchbox planer. I roll mine outside under the eaves when I use it, and a broom+dustpan makes for good chip collection. You can shim the folding table extensions if you get snipe, or run a melamine bed through. I've not found snipe to be much of an issue, except with really long boards that don't get any end support. If you don't have a separator though, those planer shavings are bound to clog up your impeller at some point.

For the Harbor Freight. I've got mine running about 16' of 4" flex hose. It keeps my table saw pretty clean. I still wear a respirator most of the time, just because it's a good habit. I also taped up all the openings on my saw to help with airflow.

Just now, jmaichel said:

Why not just pay to have it shipped? The cost of shipping would probably be under $100. That leaves you enough for a jointer and DC. 

I actually thought about that but, frankly, the machine isn't worth a hundred bucks and who knows how long it will last.  I'd feel pretty bad if I shipped it to him and it crapped out the next day.

Plus, I'm still in California for another month so, wouldn't be something that could happen quickly.

21 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I actually thought about that but, frankly, the machine isn't worth a hundred bucks and who knows how long it will last.  I'd feel pretty bad if I shipped it to him and it crapped out the next day.

Plus, I'm still in California for another month so, wouldn't be something that could happen quickly.

haha wow .. in that bad of shape eh? no super urgent need for it at the moment though ... dont get my $1000 till December haha

3 hours ago, BonPacific said:

You can replace the head on the 734 with a Byrd if you want to. DC is a bit of a bear with any lunchbox planer. I roll mine outside under the eaves when I use it, and a broom+dustpan makes for good chip collection. You can shim the folding table extensions if you get snipe, or run a melamine bed through. I've not found snipe to be much of an issue, except with really long boards that don't get any end support. If you don't have a separator though, those planer shavings are bound to clog up your impeller at some point.

For the Harbor Freight. I've got mine running about 16' of 4" flex hose. It keeps my table saw pretty clean. I still wear a respirator most of the time, just because it's a good habit. I also taped up all the openings on my saw to help with airflow.

not a bad idea ... I am assuming a 734 with a byrd head on it would be just as good as any lunchbox planer out there 

42 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

haha wow .. in that bad of shape eh? no super urgent need for it at the moment though ... dont get my $1000 till December haha

No, reality is that it's in fairly good shape but, I wouldn't warranty that for 2 seconds out of my shop ;)

It's gotten about 6 years of use and abuse in my shop.

18 minutes ago, TIODS said:

No, reality is that it's in fairly good shape but, I wouldn't warranty that for 2 seconds out of my shop ;)

It's gotten about 6 years of use and abuse in my shop.

gotcha, but as long as the motor is good and nothing is bent how bad could it be? This does have my interested peaked because it can always be fixed.

what model is it? Also, if you want to take this out of here feel free to PM me.

I'll give you the same advice I gave my brother. 

Harbor freight often has a Grizz 2HP DC at a low price, with a coupon available in most of the wood magazines.  Last I saw it was about $160 (with coupon)

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot provided&utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot provided

It has a 5micron bag, so I'd consider upgrading it with a Wynn Filter. This one goes for $129

http://wynnenv.com/products-page/woodworking-filter-pricing/35a274blol-cartridge-kit/

11 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

gotcha, but as long as the motor is good and nothing is bent how bad could it be? This does have my interested peaked because it can always be fixed.

what model is it? Also, if you want to take this out of here feel free to PM me.

I think it's the G0505..  Motor is good as far as I can tell.  Blades could stand to be sharpened or replaced, they're not expensive.  The OF roller is missing but, doesn't cause any snipe issues.  There's a little video of it in the shop tour that I just did recently.

If it's something you're really interested in and can wait, drop me a pm and I'll let you know when I finally get home

• Like 1

I think it's the G0505..  Motor is good as far as I can tell.  Blades could stand to be sharpened or replaced, they're not expensive.  The OF roller is missing but, doesn't cause any snipe issues.  There's a little video of it in the shop tour that I just did recently.

If it's something you're really interested in and can wait, drop me a pm and I'll let you know when I finally get home

Ya I'll PM and get a few more details.

My dad and I bought the the HF dust collector for under $200, a Ridgid planner refurbished for maybe $250 and we finally found a used jointer for a decent price ($250 for a Ridgid one). Took us a while to find the jointer, we were almost ready to buy a new one but we were waiting for Black Friday.  

My dad and I bought the the HF dust collector for under $200, a Ridgid planner refurbished for maybe $250 and we finally found a used jointer for a decent price ($250 for a Ridgid one). Took us a while to find the jointer, we were almost ready to buy a new one but we were waiting for Black Friday.  

And how do you like them?

1 hour ago, bushwacked said:

And how do you like them?

That might help. Was too distracted earlier. Dust collector works well with the planer. We have to leave the second hole open or else the airflow is too strong with the Ridgid chip ejector. Haven't had any issues with snipe with the Ridgid planer. Never used a different one so I can't comment on how it compares, but it does the job and was a great price. 

The jointer has has only been run once to test it when we bought it, but it seems great. Haven't plugged the DC flex hose into it yet, hopefully we'll get to run some boards through it in a few weeks now that we can surface boards. 

I figure if we decide to upgrade the planer or jointer we should be able to get about what we paid for. 

2 hours ago, legenddc said:

This is good advice if you have a Direct Tools outlet anywhere around you they often have the rigid planer for $100 leas than list price.  I picked up a blemished rigid oscillating spindle sander there last winter for about $80 off list. 

I've had good luck with my hf dust collector so far. I've used it unmodified to this point but want to grab a wynn filter and thien baffle for it soon. I ordered the rockier quick connect kit (still on backorder :( ) to speed up the moving from tool to tool.  My shop is small enough that a tool to tool setup is feasible. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:20 PM, Jfitz said:

I'll give you the same advice I gave my brother. 

Harbor freight often has a Grizz 2HP DC at a low price, with a coupon available in most of the wood magazines.  Last I saw it was about $160 (with coupon)

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot provided&utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot provided

It has a 5micron bag, so I'd consider upgrading it with a Wynn Filter. This one goes for $129

http://wynnenv.com/products-page/woodworking-filter-pricing/35a274blol-cartridge-kit/

I'd also throw in a Dust Deputy. Replacing filters gets expensive. I have a Dust Deputy then a bag then a really nice HEPA filter. My HEPA filter looks brand new and the bag is not even half full after 18 months of use. I've easily emptied 200+ gallons of dust from the Deputy though, that thing is amazing.

-E

• Like 2

I'd also throw in a Dust Deputy. Replacing filters gets expensive. I have a Dust Deputy then a bag then a really nice HEPA filter. My HEPA filter looks brand new and the bag is not even half full after 18 months of use. I've easily emptied 200+ gallons of dust from the Deputy though, that thing is amazing.

-E

Got a pic of the setup? Is it the HF DC?

I would consider these:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/5790462676.html

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-ridgid-zrr4331-15-amp-13-in--bench-planer-with-3-blade-cutterhead/rgdrzrr4331,default,pd.html

and the HF dust collector with the Wynn filter. 

That should keep you right around $1000 plus extra for hoses. On the jointer I would offer $425-$450 or even $400. 

15 hours ago, Elroy Skimms said:

I'd also throw in a Dust Deputy.

I asume you are refering to the Super Dust Deputy

I agree about adding one - if it fits the budget.  I was trying to help him stay in budget but get a DC that works and is reasonably safe.  5micron filtration is not very good and IMO requires an upgrade for safety.   The SDD is more an issue of convenience, but WELL worth the money!  I have one with a Wynn filter on my Delta DC, and I've had the same results as you.....clean filter, empty bag.

So roughly talking...

HF DC 160

Filter upgrade $129

SDD $169

$458.  That's about half his budget so much more realistic than I originally thought.  If he can score a planer for the other $500 he'd be good to go