Maloof rocker questions

AndyG

5 hours ago, AndyG said:

That's looking really good! Please keep us updated on the progress.

Today I finished the seat joinery and glued up the seat.

A bit more practice and I'll start grinding out seat.

IMG_3012.JPG

Looking awesome!  I'm looking forward to seeing that grain match !

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. I spent quite a while working out the best grain for the seat and I'm very happy how it turned out.

I'm about to start with the front legs and I will use my table saw to create the 3 sided dado (no dado blade). Because the joint is not visible like the rear legs, can I get away with cutting the dado slightly deeper so I know that if the fit isn't right it has to be the round over bit that needs adjusting?

I've also been practicing with the Holey Galahad fine wheel and I think I may need to get a courser wheel. I plan to establish the perimeter of the seat with the fine wheel and use a course wheel to remove the bulk of material that meets established pre sculpted area.

Has anyone used a course flap wheel on the grinder? Or should I just buy the Holey Galahad course wheel?

Thanks!

I think you're right I'll be ordering one next week.

What do people think of these? http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/woodworking/contour-random-sander/query/product/san-fg-200

Do you reckon they'd be handy during the build? I was going to get a festool soft pad for my sander but I just saw these.

I haven't made much progress on the chair.... Been flat out but hoping next week I'll get the leg joinery done and start sculpting the seat.

Thanks!

Andy not sure about the arbortech not really needed on the seat from my experience so far but maybe elsewhere, I will tell you that I started sanding on one of my sculpted seats today and I would say the soft pad is worth every penny! Really allows you to come up the sharp curves on the seat edges.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely be buying the interface pad I just thought the contour sander might be handy. I got some of those small scrapers from highland woodworking which will also be helpful.

Yesterday I completed all the front leg joinery. It went relatively straight forward and I'm happy with the result. There's a small hairline gap but I think the epoxy will take care of that.

3887c680bd231e12b983316f655e0276.jpg

3ef8bf0410fd30799c232e8dc124c2ce.jpg

12fe8ac3626fd119b4ecdd8643c9d98e.jpg

Looks awesome, Andy ! You should be able to play with that joint to get it a little tighter. Do you have a shoulder plane or router plane?

4 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

What's the plan for turning the cylinders ? I'm planning to build this eventually but don't have a lathe and don't plan on one. 

What cylinders are you referring to? The front legs? The front legs are the only part done on the lathe.

Yes, the part of the legs from a few inches above and below the leg joinery.  I've only seen them turned on the lathe.

If you dont have a lathe you can get Hal Taylor's templates and dvd. He does the front legs without a leg and they are not straight they are curved back. Nicer than Maloofs imo.

http://www.rockingchairuniversity.com

>

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

What's the plan for turning the cylinders ? I'm planning to build this eventually but don't have a lathe and don't plan on one. 

I have a friend who is a very good turner and he'll turn them for me (and still the 1/2" dowel holes).

Thanks

Shaneymack- I'm trying to quote your reply but I can't work it out.

I have a shoulder and router plane. I'm curious to here your suggestion? Thanks.

I kind of stuffed up with the fitting. I had a gap free joint with clamps on the test piece. Then for some reason I changed the setting on my router table and the result wasn't as good.

With clamps the gap almost disappears but I reckon with epoxy it should fix it up.

I also made the jig for the rear leg dado. I just need to work out the right depth and I'll rout the dados on the legs. I'm much more comfortable doing it this way.

Anyone else use the jig?

8503c6a027e5ee9256647d81d4cccb00.jpg

3 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

It's funny how we make these jigs and worry about getting the router table set up perfectly when Sam used to just keep a bunch of hand held routers and just do it by hand . 

HA - I can do a picasso paint by numbers, but that don't make me a painter :) 

3 minutes ago, Mike. said:

HA - I can do a picasso paint by numbers, but that don't make me a painter :) 

By definition I believe it does.

I can't remember what YouTube video it was I watched but it had Sam just grabbing the router throwing it towards the joint ,hogging the waste material away leaving a ton of blow out on the backside of the cut and that was good enough because he was going to sculpt it away anyways

• Like 2

It's funny how we make these jigs and worry about getting the router table set up perfectly when Sam used to just keep a bunch of hand held routers and just do it by hand . 

I was talking to some friends recently about how Sam worked. It looked as if he wasn't trying and that it wouldn't be that accurate. I remember watching him rout out the seat joinery and thinking that it couldn't possibly be accurate.

But we all know what he produced and just showed how talented he was.

I finished up the rear leg joinery today. This is the fit without any fine tuning but I'm pretty happy with the fit. I think some strategic scraping will get the hair line gap out.

My right leg is a nice fit but the left is a bit loose. I'm thinking of shimming it... Thoughts?

Thanks!

1f0701606d5d9ce14ef91deb83e9291f.jpg

69b12b17364148e8436ab0c15220de3d.jpg

14261109aba625e4e04ebbeb25e8d02a.jpg

5 hours ago, AndyG said:

My right leg is a nice fit but the left is a bit loose. I'm thinking of shimming it... Thoughts?

Thanks!

When you say the fit is a bit loose, I assume that you're talking about the tenon itself?  How loose is it?  You could certainly add some material to the tenon and then trim.