Maloof rocker questions

AndyG

There is no way in hell I would attempt this project, so I applaud you for doing so. When I build a table or night stand, it’s hard enough to get the legs level. Is there a concern with getting the rockers even/level so that it rocks evenly? Don’t mean to put a pucker in your build, just wondering. 

18 hours ago, K Cooper said:

There is no way in hell I would attempt this project, so I applaud you for doing so. When I build a table or night stand, it’s hard enough to get the legs level. Is there a concern with getting the rockers even/level so that it rocks evenly? Don’t mean to put a pucker in your build, just wondering. 

Marc explains the process very well in the videos and it seems relatively straight forward. I'll post this part when the time comes but I'm not too concerned about it at all. 

• 9 months later...

Ok team, I need to admit that I still haven’t completed the rocker. To my defence, we had a baby and she took up all of my spare time. I’ve done a few small projects since but I’m thinking of working on the rocker again. 

I was looking at the rocker laminates that I cut up a while back. I really made a mess of it and need to run some of them through the drum sander. It’s going to leave me with a set of rockers that will be around 3/4”. Do you think this is too thin? This is including two strips of a contrasting wood. I could add a third species to get it up to the 1” thickness. What’s your thoughts?

And is it just me, but do people obsess on the detail of their rocker? I can’t seem to make much progress as I obsess over the smallest detail. Probably why it’s taking me so long!

cheers 

I would add the strip more because the rocker (IMO) would look too small on the chair.  

As for the obsession, I know I spent days going over it with a fine toothed comb before I went to finish.  I think it has to do more with the number of hours you put into this project where you just don't want anything wrong in the end.  You don't want that "one little thing" that I know we can all find on most (if not all) of our projects.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Kev, I’m going to hold off on the rockers for a bit longer. I do agree though, it might look out of proportion with thinner rockers.

I’ve been working on the back slats. Man they are a lot of work! The shaping was quite easy but the fitting of the tenons into the chair has been very tedious and by far the most frustrating part of the build. I got all but one fitted but they are rough and will require a lot of hand work with scrapers and sanding. 

I didn’t really help myself when I cut them out on the bandsaw, some of the curves that go into the tenons aren’t even so I’ve been finessing with rasps but it looks like a lot of work to get them all to look the same. I think the next rocker I build I’ll use laminated slats. 

I’m also looking at getting a Festool RO90 to help sand the chair. I reckon the delta pad will come in handy on the slats, and the round pad for tighter areas. I got a RO150 and I’m very impressed, I sanded the seat after sculpting with very good results.

I might also post this thread in the main area of the forum, there might be others who can learn from my stuff ups! 

Cheers 

33 minutes ago, AndyG said:

I’m also looking at getting a Festool RO90 to help sand the chair. I reckon the delta pad will come in handy on the slats, and the round pad for tighter areas. I got a RO150 and I’m very impressed, I sanded the seat after sculpting with very good results.

I would second the usefulness of the RO90 in doing sculptured work. Smaller size is really helpful. Also getting an interface pad for the RO90 is a big help when sanding roundovers and curves.