Maloof rocker questions

AndyG

I would definitely add material and trim like Kev suggested. It should be a nice tight fit. I made mine tight enough to tap it on and off with a dead blow. I knew that I would be constantly putting the legs on and removing them throughout the process which meant the fibers would get crushed and I didnt want to end up with a loose joint on glue up. 

I started grinding the seat this morning. It's really fun and the Holey Galahad wheels are really nice to use! I still have lots more grinding to do but ran out of workshop time....

I really like the "big smile seat" that Charles Brock makes. Does anyone know if he still cuts the curve at the front of the seat template still? Then grinds the rest away. I've tried emailing and am waiting for a reply.

I've attached a pic in case your not familiar with it.

Thanks for watching!

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks! I still got some refining to do on the seat but I'll work on that a bit later. I got some high spots that I need to take care of. I'm going to use my sander and scrapers, but did anyone find anything else useful to level out the seat?

I'm going to start work on the arms next. I first need to laminate two boards together as I don't have thick enough material.

Thanks for watching !

b2185ad39e52e5e409e0f8bd2c4ad7cf.jpg

IMG_3281.thumb.JPG.2de734823fff59570b422

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyG said:

Thanks! I still got some refining to do on the seat but I'll work on that a bit later. I got some high spots that I need to take care of. I'm going to use my sander and scrapers, but did anyone find anything else useful to level out the seat?

Nope..  Lots of sanding and scraping

Looks great Andy! I have been using my Festool 3 1/2" rotex sander with the interface pad to do the curve around the edge and a 6" sander with standard and interface pad for the remainder i'm up to 320. It really goes pretty quick.

Curious what was your disc of choice for the carving? I know you said you had a few options.

• Like 1

I have rough cut out the remaining pieces for the build. This is the piece I've selected for the headrest- I think it was made for it!

IMG_3307.JPG

I had to laminate the arm pieces to get the desired thickness. While that was being glued up I started work on the back slats. They're fairly straight forward to do one, but to replicate it 7 times is a bit of a challenge.

I ended up coming up with a process that I can repeat on each back slat and I'm fairly happy how it's turned out. I will of course refine them all once they're all done with rasps to get a nice uniform look.

I've only started work on the round over and will blend everything in once the tenons are cut.

IMG_3325.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

• Like 1

Looking good!  I actually used the power carver to get me close and then went to the hand work..  The spindles are a butt load of work!

I probably should have mentioned that I used the fine Holey Galahad wheel to remove the bulk of the material then rasps. Definitely a time saver once you get the hang of it.

• Like 1