Maloof rocker questions

AndyG

Today I got some spare time to drill and attached the legs with screws. This will now enable me to cut the arm blanks and start fitting it to the rear legs. I'm pretty excited about this next phase!

I also got some epoxy for when it comes time to glue up. I opted for the slow set so I got more open time to get everything right.

IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you.

I still got work to do on the seat but I'm happy where it's at now. I will transition the pommel into the seat but I'm still working out how I'd like it. The front will also be sculpted a bit more and I'll create a more dramatic perimeter around the seat with my grinding wheel. But that can wait.....

Question: My leg joints with clamps are pretty tight. I have noticed that the screws don't seat the joint fully. The front legs have a very small gap (a clamp closes it) but the rear legs are a little worse. Do you think this will effect the fit of my arms and headrest when it comes time to glue up and the joint is closed up that little bit more? Should I fit the joint with a clamp on or should it just be fine?

Thanks!.

It turned out that I just needed a clamp running front to back and the joint closed up perfectly. I think this is how I'll glue it up also with the screws.

I started work on the arms today and I'm pretty happy how everything has turned out so far. I just need an 1/2" dowel point centre to mark for the dowel. I went to my local big box store and thought they'd have them on hand. It turns out not only they don't stock them, but they're very hard to find here in Australia. I can find them in metric only. Luckily a friend of mine came to the rescue and had a set do I'll pick them up during the week.

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3373.JPG

Andy, first of all, I would never attempt this build so I applaud you for doing so and it looks fantastic so far, except... The front edge of the seat seems awfully thin, and I'm use to seeing the convential rockers, ie, Cracker Barrel's. Is it thicker than it appears? 

Looks awesome Andy!  I don't see a need to go to 500 grit but, it's your chair..  I took mine to 220 and was perfectly happy.

Keep the pics coming, I'm enjoying them!

Thanks! I have a habit of over doing things.... I'll see how I go.

Did you use west system epoxy for your legs joints! I have the 105 and 206 epoxy and was wondering if it's worth getting the 404 high density filler? I'll have to get it from overseas as it's hard to find here in Australia.

Just now, AndyG said:

Thanks! I have a habit of over doing things.... I'll see how I go.

Did you use west system epoxy for your legs joints! I have the 105 and 206 epoxy and was wondering if it's worth getting the 404 high density filler? I'll have to get it from overseas as it's hard to find here in Australia.

That's what I used.  I did use the filler but, could have gotten away without it.  As long as your joints are tight, you can get away with it no problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments. I've really enjoyed the build so far and plan to build more in the future.

The chair is dry assembled now. Next step will be gluing up the legs to the seat.

I've only sanded the seat to 60 grit. I'm thinking I may leave it as is as I'll be sculpting the leg to seat transition and will likely need to sand around the seat again to blend in. I'll the sand the whole seat to a much higher grit.

9a993090ed60a27e460063dda52bfc8c.jpg

• Like 2