Hello from Olympia

aknotsdeath

Hello. I am new to the forums and wood working. I served 9 years in the military before becoming disabled and retired. Unfortunately I have really bad sciatica issues so sitting is not really a thing anymore. I played and streamed video games so now I will probably stream woodworking and maybe some videos. I wanted to get into woodworking for a while now but never had a place to put and use tools. Now that we bought a house I am getting into it. I used to work on jets repairing and doing maintenance so I am familiar around tools and measurements so wood seemed like the best bet. Plus I was raised around cabinet makers. You never forget the smell of fresh cut wood. Brings a smile to my face every time. I picked up the Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter saw a while back. Got some drills, skill saw, hand held jig saw and lots of mechanic tools that I have randomly collected over the years. I currently have a Hitachi table saw that I am deathly afraid to use because it is not stable. Looking into getting probably a grizzly table saw at some point in the next few years(hopefully). Currently instead of using the table saw I just use the skill saw and a straight edge :P Haven't done much yet. Just trying to familiarize myself with the tools before I do much of anything. First thing up to build would be a rolling work bench. Right now I am working off double stacked totes. Anyway awesome to be here. 

Welcome to the forum! I lived in Olympia for years, it's an interesting town ;). From what I remember, the local Craigslist was a pretty consistently good source for woodworking stuff.

I never went personally, but I've heard good things about Arbutus downtown if you're looking to take a class on something. Though they can be pricey.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

Welcome to the forum! I lived in Olympia for years, it's an interesting town ;). From what I remember, the local Craigslist was a pretty consistently good source for woodworking stuff.

I never went personally, but I've heard good things about Arbutus downtown if you're looking to take a class on something. Though they can be pricey.

I live closer to the Lacey area and for the table saws all I see is Craftsmen right now. Plus I am super hesitant on buying a used table saw since I have no clue what to look for. I still keep an eye out though. On a few other places as well. But being a small guy I can't man handle a bunch of wood around so I need something really solid. And I can't really leave the house much. To painful. I just kinda shuffle around here so classes are out. I use the internet and trial and error.

50 minutes ago, aknotsdeath said:

I just kinda shuffle around here so classes are out. I use the internet and trial and error.

Marc on TheWoodWhisper.com has a lot of free videos that may be of interest   Joining the guild and purchasing some those projects, even though you may not think you are ready for something like that, watching them can teach you a lot of techniques for things you are doing presently.  They are very detailed as far as learning new techniques.

• Like 2

Marc on TheWoodWhisper.com has a lot of free videos that may be of interest   Joining the guild and purchasing some those projects, even though you may not think you are ready for something like that, watching them can teach you a lot of techniques for things you are doing presently.  They are very detailed as far as learning new techniques.

He is how I found the forums. I don't have the money at all for random building at this time. Everything we have is going towards the house and what we need. However I will keep that in mind for the future. Unfortunately the house we just bought had more work needed then initially thought. Which is probably the case every time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, aknotsdeath said:

I just moved from Tacoma. But I have lived around the Puget Sound all my life. Born, raised and stationed here. Then retired here.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

As a fellow vet, thanks, If you happen to pass through Sedro Woolley, let me know we can talk zoomy vs grunt:D

• Like 1

On 1/11/2017 at 9:13 PM, Just Bob said:

As a fellow vet, thanks, If you happen to pass through Sedro Woolley, let me know we can talk zoomy vs grunt:D

I was actually a squid. I built bombs :P AO. I was on the USS Carl Vinson then I went and worked on the Prowlers out of Whidbey Island.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:51 PM, Derek_PNW said:

Welcome! I am just up north in Bothell. If you are ever in the area let me know. The least I can do is give you a few beers and some food for your service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOL will do. 

• Like 1