Selling cutting boards at markets

AndyG

Yeah, thank marketing for screwing up the nomenclature on face vs edge, not to mention exactly what "butcher block" means to people. Typically constructing an edge grain board from flatsawn material will give you a quarter/rift sawn appearance using many pieces. However, if you start with QS or RS then you will have a flatsawn appearance. Same for making boards out of wide flatsawn stock. You may experience more cupping from those boards, but if you use QS stock then i dont see why it would cup more than an edge grain board out of flatsawn material. 

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something, I don't think I have seen a single person state otherwise?

No. Reinforcing the fact that face grain and edge grain are the same - some people seem to think there is a difference and that one is better than the other - and that they're both inferior to end grain. That's all. Don't be so defensive.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

So I've prepared about 21 boards with only a couple glued up. I have some really nice figured small boards that I've cut square and added strips (edge grain) to make them look more interesting. It's really nice to use some of these off cuts that I've been storing for years...

The one below is just strips dry assembled. I'll change the layout and glue it up- should get 2 decent sized boards out of each one.

I've also been making mineral oil/beeswax paste. It's super easy and after testing it on some boards I really like it. I'll be making a batch of 40 small tins for sale also.

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk