Bevel cuts on really long boards

Using a hand plane on plywood is very hard on the edge. It's  marginally successful only a very few passes with an extremely sharp blade then the blade and the results decline rapidly and neither is easy to recover from.

That is not my experience. Even back in the day when I did cabinets for business Jets we used materials like a honeycomb aluminum, nomax, Kevlar all of these are much harder on plane edges than plywood, but plane edges held up fine. Sure we had to sharpen more than you would with plywood but saying that you can't plane plywood is just ridiculous. Having said that I would still prefer using MDF.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Not if the pieces were 16" deep and you tried flipping them over to complete the cut.  Try that and report back.  If you can pull it off accurately you're a better woodworker than me.  And I hesitate to believe that you can shoot 16" plywood miters on a shooting board.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong...but until I am, my position is that it can't be done well.  My experiences with trying to hand plane plywood have been...disappointing.

All these techniques that you offer are totally valid for little 4" pieces...I never claimed they weren't.  You threw in the "16 inch flip the board over" aspect and I'm skeptical it can be pulled off effectively.

That miter box is a Lie Nielsen and it's not mine...pulled from the LN site.

Be as skepticsl as you like. Its not that hard.

23 minutes ago, QHC said:

Be as skepticsl as you like. Its not that hard.

Well, easier said than done.  Maybe you can do it...but without proof I'll just have to doubt it.

At the very least, there are easier ways, and I would pursue some other technique first.  No point in defaulting to more challenging methods if you have better options at your disposal.

Well, easier said than done.  Maybe you can do it...but without proof I'll just have to doubt it.

At the very least, there are easier ways, and I would pursue some other technique first.  No point in defaulting to more challenging methods if you have better options at your disposal.

What ever works best for ea individual is the method they should use. There are many things others can do that I cannot do. This is not one of them.