jointer featherboard

On this week's episode of New Yankee Workshop Online, I noticed that Norm had a magnetic featherboard on his jointer fence to hold the piece against the outfeed table. He didn't say anything about it, but I noticed it in the video at 16:26. I've never heard of this before, but it seems like a good idea. I guess it would only be useful for thin strips, because on a wider board you'd want to put the force in the middle of the face. But for jointing a narrow strip, it's probably safer and easier than using your fingers or using a wide push-pad.

Any thoughts on this?

On this week's episode of New Yankee Workshop Online, I noticed that Norm had a magnetic featherboard on his jointer fence to hold the piece against the outfeed table. He didn't say anything about it, but I noticed it in the video at 16:26. I've never heard of this before, but it seems like a good idea. I guess it would only be useful for thin strips, because on a wider board you'd want to put the force in the middle of the face. But for jointing a narrow strip, it's probably safer and easier than using your fingers or using a wide push-pad.

Any thoughts on this?

In Europe they are made by a company called Magswitch along with a lot of other goodies. I've never used em but the claims are pretty awesome. www.magswitch.com.au I should think they are available in the US as well

I have had griptite for a couple years now and love it but I did buy a Ridgid brand magswitch (only $18 on sale) a couple weeks ago because it is lower profile and easier to use with my Grr-ripper. I do use it on my jointer at times but really thought I was the only one.

Nate

I have two of these as well but I paid $28 each but still cheaper than from a woodworking store.

I have not used the jointer feather board so I dont know how well it works. My next purchase is an upgrade to the 52 inch biesmeier fence. I am currently using the 32 inch version. But found a real deal on the upgrade for only $150 for everything. That is the brackets, tube, and fence all for 150. I just can't pass that one up..