So Canadian import tariff

socoj2

should i run out and stock up on wood. Cant believe this wasnt already posted did all you guys wake up late this morning?

I see this as a favor to the chinese to help deal with Korea, as its going to drive up all wood prices.

thoughts. i may buy a pallet of plywood i use for cabinets

Only applies to Canadian softwood used mostly for home construction. There is already a tariff on Chinese plywood to off set the supposed dumping of poor quality at a subsidized low price. Quality domestic made cabinet ply is up in price around 5 to 10% due to this.  I avoid Asian import ply whenever possible. The voids,thin face veneers and great tendency to warp and twist are just not worth the savings.

16 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Only applies to Canadian softwood used mostly for home construction. There is already a tariff on Chinese plywood to off set the supposed dumping of poor quality at a subsidized low price. Quality domestic made cabinet ply is up in price around 5 to 10% due to this.  I avoid Asian import ply whenever possible. The voids,thin face veneers and great tendency to warp and twist are just not worth the savings.

The next time you get a Casement job. i really want to come help.

Shannon has some thoughts on it.

http://www.mcilvain.com/plywood-prices-to-climb-again/

or go to about the 29 minute mark in the Woodtalk show.

http://www.woodtalkshow.com/

This happens every 10 years or so (the duration of the softwood lumber agreement).  The lumber lobbyists get them to introduce duties, Canada makes an appeal to the WTO and are found not to be dumping, the duties are found not a fair practice.

C'mon folks, it's Canada, we have lots of trees.  When you have lots of something, it makes it inexpensive.  The cutting rights for Crown land (land owned by the government) is sold off at auction to the highest bidder.  That is as much as the market will bear here.  

We are still "hewers of wood" up here.  We do it well, and we do it efficiently, the duties will be found to be unfair.  The only thing that will happen is your cost of living will go up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Casement ?

Next job is 2 African Mahogany store displays around the first of next month.

may have used the wrong word. Cabinet...

let me know when you plan to start i may swing down. i have to go to india for a week next month though on the 13th.

2 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

Fine, as long as there are no tariffs on the Molson! 

I gave up on drinking "regular" beer.  A friend of mine got me really into craft beer.  There are so many EXCELLENT beers out there that I just don't have enough time to drink the big company's brews now!

• Like 1