Good deal?

trialbyfire

9 hours ago, Eric. said:

I think you might be confusing "riving knife" and "splitter."  There is no aftermarket retrofit type of riving knife that I'm aware of...either your saw was designed to use one or it wasn't.  If it wasn't, you have to use some kind of splitter instead.  A riving knife moves up and down and tilts with the blade, which means you can keep it on for non-through and beveled cuts.  A splitter is fixed and has to be removed for these tasks.

There is this.  No experience though.  And it seems like he's not making any at this time.

http://theborkstore.com/

1 hour ago, jussi said:

There is this.  No experience though.  And it seems like he's not making any at this time.

http://theborkstore.com/

He claims that it raises and lowers and tilts with the blade...and I have no reason to think he didn't come up with some solution for that.  But if you look at the picture, it appears that the knife protrudes higher than the blade (not to mention the blade guard attached to it)...which makes non-through cuts still impossible without removing it, which makes the whole contraption hardly more convenient than a regular splitter, except in the case of a through bevel cut, which would work.  But you'd still have to remove the blade guard. :blink:

Unless it's just an illusion and the knife does sit below the apex of the blade...but it certainly doesn't look that way.

Bob Ross, maker of the BORK passed away last month, so it's moot point other than to clarify.  It was available as just a riving knife or with the blade guard.  As with all riving knives with guards, non-through cuts were not possible with the blade guard in place, but the knife by itself could easy be set to allow non-through cuts.  Many saws offer one knife to accept the guard, and another as a stand alone knife for non-through cuts, as did the BORK.

G0690 riving knife options:

grizzly-g0690-10-3hp-220v-cabinet-table- 

BORK with blade guard:

010_zps77e368c8.jpg

BORK without blade guard

BORK013-1-1.jpgBORK016-1-2.jpg

On 5/6/2017 at 6:20 PM, trialbyfire said:

@knotscott

Anyone wanna buy a radial arm saw? Lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What brand and model is the ras? If one of the good brands/models, someone here, who appreciates the advantages of them, might be interested.

On 5/6/2017 at 6:20 PM, trialbyfire said: