Good deal?

trialbyfire

Found this saw on Craigslist. Cabinet saws usually don't pop up often around me.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/6116461441.html

Seller also sent me this picture of the label

I would need to run 220 but that can be done. What are y'all's thoughts? Save up for a new one with a router table at the end (prolly one of the Jets) or jump on this grenade? From the pictures on cl it looks like it was used in a cabinet shop of sorts.687fbb557a5de7df8326592d193abdeb.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

*looks at location with envy* Terrible saw. Waste of money. Now if you will excuse me, I need to rent a truck...to dispose of...a dryer... :ph34r:

Just kidding - looks like a nice find. Google-fu shows like those saws retail 1200, and were on sale for 800-900 at some point. The only question I would have would be sourcing parts if worn or needed. If it was used in a cabinet shop, that probably means a lot more use than say a home hobbyist. Still probably a better value than quite a bit of the other listings on CL.

Those saws have a pretty good reputation, and it's a very similar model to mine, G0690.  I've said a million times that my Grizzly table saw is the one Grizzly tool I've had almost no complaints about...aside from the fence...easy fix.  Make sure you take it for a thorough test drive, but I'd call that a pretty good price on a decent saw.  A solid prospect for sure.

Looks like it's missing the right wing though...does he have that?  It's some kind of plastic-like surface on my saw.  Not something you couldn't replace but it would kind of bug me if that part is indeed missing.

My one major complaint about that saw would be that it doesn't have a riving knife.  First world problem, I know, but a riving knife is just sooo much more convenient than a splitter.  Still not a deal breaker but be aware...no riving knife.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 7:56 PM, Eric. said:

My one major complaint about that saw would be that it doesn't have a riving knife.  First world problem, I know, but a riving knife is just sooo much more convenient than a splitter.  Still not a deal breaker but be aware...no riving knife.

True fact; I own a related model and haven't been able to find even an after market riving knife.  And I did have a recent issue with a stressed board that closed up around the saw blade - that get's exciting in a hurry.  Otherwise I like my Grizzly.

[Edit: I'll add that the provision for dust collection is not totally awesome;  you'll probably want to do some duct tape and other mods on the cabinet to facilitate the sawdust removal.]

Edited by Pondhockey
Add info

Probably already gone at that price.  Parts are readily available and at that price you can afford a few.  A riving knife is designed into the trunnion.  After market bolt-ons have a sketchy history but, if cutting at a fixed angle a splitter will do the job.  Adding a router wing is also very doable on a standard 27" deep saw like this.

11 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

True fact; I own a related model and haven't been able to find even an after market riving knife.  And I did have a recent issue with a stressed board that closed up around the saw blade - that get's exciting in a hurry.  Otherwise I like my Grizzly.

I think you might be confusing "riving knife" and "splitter."  There is no aftermarket retrofit type of riving knife that I'm aware of...either your saw was designed to use one or it wasn't.  If it wasn't, you have to use some kind of splitter instead.  A riving knife moves up and down and tilts with the blade, which means you can keep it on for non-through and beveled cuts.  A splitter is fixed and has to be removed for these tasks.

11 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

[Edit: I'll add that the provision for dust collection is not totally awesome;  you'll probably want to do some duct tape and other mods on the cabinet to facilitate the sawdust removal.]

If you need an aftermarket splitter, the MJ splitter system is awesome.  I have used it for years on my ts3650.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pug said:

If you need an aftermarket splitter, the MJ splitter system is awesome.  I have used it for years on my ts3650.

I'll check it out.  I would probably use a splitter/blade guard combo if it had provision for dust collection.

1 hour ago, trialbyfire said:

@knotscott I really like your setup. Would you mind telling me what you like and what you would do differently if you could? I've been mulling over putting a cabinet saw on wheels and marrying and router table to the end similar to what you did.

This setup maximizes the space available, and includes most of my preferences.  It's a 2008 Shop Fox W1677 (a white Griz G1023SL) with a Jet Xacta II fence and router fence, but still uses the original Shop Fox rails.  I slid the fence rails 10" to the right, so I have 36" rip to the right, none to the left.  The stock splitter has been replaced with the most recent BORK riving knife and blade guard, which I also like a lot, and has worked well for me (Bob Ross recently passed away, so it's no longer available).  There's also a Wixey digital readout on it...it's nice, but I honestly rarely use it, and don't require that much precision.  And lastly, I added a crosscut extension  on the left side since I never rip on that side.  I mainly use an Osborne EB-3 miter gauge, but also have an Incra V27 with a fence.  I sold my Woodhaven Deluxe....it was built like a tank, but harder to adjust adjust for angles than the other two.

001.jpg

mavb32a.jpg

The saw sits on a basic 3-wheel mobile base...I added a platform to get the height the same as my workbench/outfeed table, and added sides to the platform just so it won't slide off.  

shop9-24-12004_zpsb7d7341e.jpg

The router cabinet is just an old vanity that I picked up from the side of the road.  It sits on it's own mobile base, and doesn't actually connect to the router table....it just sits underneath it and comes close to touching the underside of the table.  It rolls freely out from underneath if I want it to.  The router fence is a Jet attachment that fits their Jet Xacta II fence in place of the right side face.   I built the router table from 9/8" formica counter material.

mavayx9.jpgrt003.jpg

It has more power than I'll ever need, and I like the whole setup quite a bit.  The router fence adds some weight, but is small concern compared to the space savings of the router table in the wing.  I've always like the more modern spoked handwheels better than the solid ones I have, but it's strictly a cosmetic preference....if anyone with a newer G1023 has the spoked handwheels and prefers the solid ones, I'll gladly swap you for them! ;-)  Otherwise, it's setup to my liking, and I've happy with it for quite a few years now.  

Can I ask why you opted to not pursue the G1023SL?  I can't imagine getting more saw for that price.  I'd want to ask at least $800 if I had to sell mine.

Wow. I'm looking for exactly the same sort of deal. I want to pick up a used Grizzly cabinet saw. Only thing I require is a riving knife and the 4" dust port. Something to get me by until I'm ready for the next level. I'd have jumped on that for that price if riving knife isn't a huge deal for you.

@knotscott I didn't pick up the saw because the saw did t have a riving knife and because I dont have the money or time right now to run the required 220. And I'm still trying to get rid of my radial arm saw and other tools that didnt make the cut when I did my last purge.

Anyone wanna buy a radial arm saw? Lol.

Or does anyone know of a good cause/charity that takes used tools that still work?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk