Smoothing planes

bleedinblue

You have no idea how much I love the term "G", Eric :). I'm the least "G" person I know, which makes it all the sweeter! On the convex

Lie-Nielsen have a vid 

Odate mentions it as a way to support a brittle edge, the drawing in his book is very similar to the method LN shows.

It could be said the single or slightly convex bevel is stronger http://www.amgron.clara.net/page74.html and any hand sharpened, single bevel with have some degree of convex shape, it's just a case of not rounding over.

Long winded but further reading (if you have nothing better to do) http://www.owdman.co.uk/howto/howto.htm

I think all of Sellers' videos show the method.

I think Derek Cohen uses it on his mortise chisels.

Like anything, you find what works well. If you get clean surfaces, that's all you need to know.

9 minutes ago, G S Haydon said:

You have no idea how much I love the term "G", Eric :). I'm the least "G" person I know, which makes it all the sweeter! On the convex

Lie-Nielsen have a vid

Well I learned something today.

I don't have trouble jigging up my fishtail and I don't use a corner chisel, so I guess I've never encountered the need.  But Deneb's the man...so I'll take his word for it.

Thanks G.  Thug life.

d98ab18e68528c5ea13f1fd2edc83eda.600x800

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Well I learned something today.

I don't have trouble jigging up my fishtail and I don't use a corner chisel, so I guess I've never encountered the need.  But Deneb's the man...so I'll take his word for it.

Thanks G.  Thug life.

d98ab18e68528c5ea13f1fd2edc83eda.600x800

Eric, this horrid picture of you at 16 should have never seen the light of day.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom King said:

Bleedingblue, If you have the time to wait a few days for the iron to go and come, send it to me, I'll prep it and sharpen it for you, and then you will get to see in hand what the goal is, and why.  It won't take me long, so don't worry about wasting my time.   If you PM me, I'll give you my mailing address.

I might actually take you up on this.  PM sent.