A Roubo odyssey

Hard maple, largely due to your influence actually.      Unfortunately due to my schedule the only way I could get it in time for some PTO I have coming up in a couple of weeks was to place a bulk order and have it shipped, so I didn't get to cull through it.    As luck would have it, the best price was 10' long boards, and while it was listed as 5"+ wide, the stuff that arrived is almost all 8" wide or a hair under, so I guess I've got some cutting boards in my future too with all the scrap ;).      237bdft in total, so should be enough in there to get 'er done.

Oh well.. It's been on the list for years, at this point I'm just happy to get started.

• Like 1

Have fun. I am only a little ahead of you. Have hardware (since Christmas), purchase lumber about a month ago. Only thing I have done is cut the boards down to 8' and straight line rip one edge on each. I plan to kick up the pace come early June.

Just now, MattF said:

Have fun. I am only a little ahead of you. Have hardware (since Christmas), purchase lumber about a month ago. Only thing I have done is cut the boards down to 8' and straight line rip one edge on each. I plan to kick up the pace come early June.

Sounds like we'll be tracking pretty close then.   I'll probably only get 8-10 hours of work on it until 6/5, then a have a week off without wife or kids around to get a good start on it.    After that week, it's likely to only be ~4-5 hours a weekend until it's done.

6 minutes ago, pdxkris said:

Sounds like we'll be tracking pretty close then.   I'll probably only get 8-10 hours of work on it until 6/5, then a have a week off without wife or kids around to get a good start on it.    After that week, it's likely to only be ~4-5 hours a weekend until it's done.

Sounds like it! I plan on taking a week of PTO sometime in June, not sure what week. My plan for the PTO is just for bench building, that and I just need a break from work. 

Are you building yours to Marc's plans?

7 minutes ago, Eric. said:

It's a marathon, not a sprint.  Took me an entire summer to build mine.  It takes as long as it takes.  Enjoy the process.

This is one I build that I am not going to rush. I have also informed the wife that I will not be taking on any other projects until this is complete. 

Aside from whatever modifications are needed for the crisscross solo, yea, I plan on keeping to Marc's plans.   This is really my first major project, so I'm not ready to start changing things up yet, and enough folks seem happy with this bench, I'm sure it'll suit me well as-is.

28 minutes ago, pdxkris said:

Aside from whatever modifications are needed for the crisscross solo, yea, I plan on keeping to Marc's plans.   This is really my first major project, so I'm not ready to start changing things up yet, and enough folks seem happy with this bench, I'm sure it'll suit me well as-is.

I am sticking to the plans well, except for the crisscross. I am using the retro. Also skipping any knock down hardware. 

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

It's a marathon, not a sprint.  Took me an entire summer to build mine.  It takes as long as it takes.  Enjoy the process.

Says you. Mine took 17 days to build.. of course after sawing the lumber and letting it dry... Then another 6 months before I installed the hardware...  I guess that is substancially longer than the summer but hey, who's counting.

20 hours ago, MattF said:

I have also informed the wife that I will not be taking on any other projects until this is complete. 

Yeah, good luck with that. When SWMBO has projects, the bench will be reprioritized. Downward. :)

Good luck with the build, I'll be following along with equal amounts of interest and envy.

14 minutes ago, ClassAct said:

Yeah, good luck with that. When SWMBO has projects, the bench will be reprioritized. Downward. :)

Truer words have never been spoken! SWMBO are notorious for scope creep. There is a front deck project that has to handled the summer. Shouldn't take more than a couple weekends. Has to be done before the rain returns to the PNW. Tiny sunshine window.

• Like 2

Well.... I tried ripping the boards to rough width using my slider, and the first board went great, but the second had so much internal tension it actually seized the blade (on a 5hp saw!).   This kerf was so tight it was essentially back to one piece at the start of the cut, I couldn't open it by hand, and had a hell of a time wedging anything in there (thoughts of shimming the gap came into my head before better ideas prevailed)

20170527_142314.thumb.jpg.707a29757cccb65bb22ec44c2f31cbd4.jpg20170527_142326.thumb.jpg.b438c421b657cee1b23341f81239e4dd.jpg

Next up I re-arranged the shop a bit so I could actually pass boards that long through my bandsaw.   It worked, but there was barely enough room:

20170527_155525.thumb.jpg.cb0e7315a2e7d331f054e5606088569f.jpg

The top boards in this pic are the ~8’ x ~5” rough slab pieces ready for final milling. The ones on the far right are extra for the base.   Everything else is “scrap” from cutting the slab boards down to size.

20170527_182859.thumb.jpg.2d4f0b7bc07bbd3d14b97823aa5a5f8d.jpg

I got a few of the slab boards face jointed before I had to stop for the night, and also managed to convince grandma to watch the kids one more night.   The plan is to get the glue-ups done by tomorrow night and leave me in a good place for when I start my weeks vacation in June that will be dedicated to Roubo building.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Wait until your moving the glued up slabs around :o

Ugh... I don't even want to think about it at this point.    Although, the stock boards I started with were 2+ times the weight of one milled slab board, so I guess I've already got some idea what I'm store for.

• Like 1

Off to a good start there buddy.  Looks like you have enough scrap to make a nice Moxen vice bench.

That would work out pretty well since I bought that hardware too! I wasn't counting on having the extra lumber for it from this batch, but it'd be a welcome surprise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was able to get in there for an hour this morning and get both slabs to proper width.    That's it for today, now off to have some fun with the kids.    I'm hoping to sneak in the glue-up during the week, and be ready to tackle the tenon next Sunday.